We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning help- UK Countryside in winter

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Planning help- UK Countryside in winter

Hi-

Will be in London on business in early February, and was thinking of touring the countryside with a few friends for about 4-5 days. I know the winters can be cold, but we are up for the challenge.

Can anyone recommend a rough itinerary of towns? Everyone is about 36 and fairly active, so walking or hiking around is a good thing, as well as some interesting hotels and good food.

We will be departing from the ShoreDitch area, and leaving out of Heathrow.

thanks in advance!

Dan

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Planning help- UK Countryside in winter

I love the Dorset coast as suggested above, and you have the added bonus of fossil hunting if that appeals to you.

How about Suffolk? I love North Norfolk but it is a bit farther out. Lavenham is a beautiful village with serval very good restaurants. There is no castle to stay in, but there are some good hotels in historic builidings.

On the Suffolk coast if Oroford, with a castle, and a very good country hotel, the Crown and Castle, with a terrific restaurant.

London, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Planning help- UK Countryside in winter

I'd stick to one area, especially if you like walking. BayB0y's (Post 2) is a excellent suggestion. You could stay in an Oast House B&B like this one, if you want something unusual (there are other B&B's in Oast Houses in Kent & Sussex):

http://www.theoastinwittersham.co.uk/

BTW it is possible to get B&B in a castle, although not as common as a castle hotel or self-catering - Hever Castle B&B for example:

hevercastle.co.uk/holiday-lets-kent/bed-and-…

Edited: 11 December 2012, 19:48
London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Planning help- UK Countryside in winter

I would stick to the South (as lovely as the north and scotland are) just for the short driving times and the ease of getting t Heathrow. The New Forest is a good option (and from there you can easily visit the South Downs (the western part anyway), historic cities like Salisbury, Winchester and Portsmouth and trips to the Isle of Wight from Lymington (you could even stay on the IOW for a few days if you like). You could even stay in the grounds of Carisbrooke Castle

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

The suggestion of Rye in post 2 is also good. Not a castle but this B&B would make for a fun stay http://www.ryewindmill.co.uk/

NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Planning help- UK Countryside in winter

Thanks for all the fantastic thoughts and ideas.

We have also tossed around the idea of using Bath as a homebase, as we heard there may be a bit more to see and do in Feb. Having a good spa around would make the ladies happy.

thanks!

Sunny London
Level Contributor
285 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Planning help- UK Countryside in winter

You could also look at Leeds Castle in Kent for somewhere to stay.

26. Re: Planning help- UK Countryside in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 08:17