We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
69 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

Did a search but didn't see anyone ask this question before. I will be travelling to London for 2 days, so I got an airport hotel near Heathrow on Bath Road. For those 2 days I plan to do some sightseeing in London, and I know that from the airport to my hotel. I can pay £4 and take the Hoppa bus, and from the airport to London city center, I can take the underground or the train. But how do I get from my hotel to the city center? Would I have to pay £4 each way to the airport first, then go from there? It seems like it will be very costly if that is the only option... Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London City Suites By Montcalm
London City Suites By...
406 Reviews
London, UK
Canada
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

Across the street from the Marriott and the Sheraton Skyline is a bus stop that goes to the Central Bus Station at Heathrow....at least 4 buses will take you there...off the top of my head the 105, 140 and 285 and there is another. It is free if you get on at that stop or any other along Bath Rd headed to the airport.

At the CBS you follow the signs towards the Underground and then can get a 1 day Travelcard for the 6 zones encompassing London and out to Heathrow. Its GBP8.50.

I did this last week because I like to stay close to the airport. I'm a bit of a freak that way. :)

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,777 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

Heathrow hotels are good for those with very late arrivals or early departures, but they are poor choices if your desire is to sightsee in central London. Travel time from LHR to central London will be 45 - 60 minutes on the Underground plus travel time from the hotel to the nearest Underground station.

You need not pay for the Hoppa (£4.50 per journey); depending on the hotel you've booked you may be able to take a free local bus to the nearest terminal building / station. Please let us know the hotel you've booked and when you plan to visit, as planned works on the Underground may have an impact on your travels.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
30,054 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

Please don't stay out there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

Imagine you left your airport hotel to visit London, then needed to pop back to change/shower whatever before an evening show/meal.

That's going to involve at least 4 hours travel time (an hour each way minimum for each trip in and out)..

Do-able, but as said above the airport hotels are soul-less, distant and far removed from the city centre.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

If you can change your hotel booking, I would do it now, for reasons above. If not, from the Bath Road it is far easier to get a bus to Hounslow West Underground station, rather than go back into the airport, which will just add costs and time. You haven't said which hotel you are at, but the 81 and 222 services should pass by, very frequent, and take about 10 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Hounslow
Hounslow
Greater London, UK
Canada
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

The reason I go back to the airport is because of the free travel along Bath Rd...I

...but if I did it again (unlikely because I won't need to be visiting the UK as frequently as in the past) I would certainly investigate the Hounslow option.

OP I agree with other posters...if you can get a hotel in central London so much the better. The tube ride is very long and in rush hour (anytime between 4 and 7pm) VERY crowded. There is no joy in it.

Mentioned in this post
Hounslow
Hounslow
Greater London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,177 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

< The reason I go back to the airport is because of the free travel along Bath Rd >

False economy - especially as you'd be paying more for Heathrow to central London & back than you would for a full day's travel in central London

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Canada
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

I understand that but I won't stay in central London if I'm catching a plane out of Heathrow. Like I said...its my little thing. We all have them.

Not least of all because I am usually so desperately keen to get home that I am terrified of something happening, and me not making it to my flight.

BUT!!!! - I have been to London many times. If I'm at the airport pre-flight its its usually just a case of - well I have a few hours, what shall I do, rather than a "Must see London or die" thing....the OP should investigate central London.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
San Diego...
Level Contributor
69 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

Unfortunately I already booked my 2 nights stay near the airport (will be at Holiday Inn Ariel). The reason that I decided to stay at the hotel is that I have an early morning flight, and I wanted to avoid the hassle of getting up super early or switching hotels. In the future though, I will get a central London location because I realize that taking the tube can be quite time consuming!

I will be arriving in 10 days or so, I hope the weather in London will permit me to walk outside at least from the hotel to the tube stations!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,777 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get from a LHR airport hotel to London city center?

Unfortunately you cannot 'walk outside at least from the hotel to the tube stations' as the tunnel from Bath Road to the airport property is for vehicle traffic only.

You will need to take any of the numbers 105, 111, 140 or 285 from Harlington Corner to the Central Bus Station, walk to the Underground station nearby and take the Tube from there. Stop J in Bath Road is nearest the Ariel for the journey to the airport: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…harlington-a4.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…heathrow.pdf As you can see from this spider map, the buses to and from your hotel are in the free flow Heathrow area, but it's a bit of a moot point since you will need either a zone 1 - 6 Travelcard (which includes bus use in all zones) or use PAYG on Oyster for your journeys.

One day off peak Travelcards for zones 1 - 6 cost £8.50; the off peak cap for PAYG use is the same. Should you use PAYG on Oyster and travel off peak, £20 will be more than enough pre-pay to load on the card for a two day stay; the unused money and the £5 deposit for the card are refundable when you hand in the card at a Tube ticket office at the end of your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK