We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in mid May for 60ish old Aussies. What to do ?

Coolum Beach
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in mid May for 60ish old Aussies. What to do ?

Been here twice in 30 yrs ! Staying at Paddington to access Heathrow easily. Is a bus tour around London a good idea ? Which company ? Big Bus Tour isn't recommended highly here, so will it be Original Bus Tour, Golden Bus..any others ??? Suggestions please.

On the agenda-Bomber Command Memorial, maybe Churchill War Rooms (husband ex-Military) Hyde Park Speakers Corner Sunday arvo. The War Horse at Drury Lane booked one night.

Anything else for a Sunday, Mon, Tues, Weds mid May ?

England Experience Tours
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Abbey Tours- Day Trips
Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Brit Movie Tours
Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Expat Explore Travel
Bus Tours, City Tours
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in mid May for 60ish old Aussies. What to do ?

Obviously you have an interest in military history - you may enjoy HMS Belfast which is moored on the Thames.

Apart from that interest - what do you like to do? Museums? Art galleries? Architecture? Gardens? History?

Do you have any constraints? Hate heights? Can't climb stairs? Can't walk great distances?

I loved Windsor and Hampton Court Palace but if you only have three days you'll likely want to spend them in London - but maybe not.

If you give people an idea of what you like doing and what interests you, you'll likely get more suggestions than you know what to do with.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
647 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in mid May for 60ish old Aussies. What to do ?

Since you're in your sixties, you can get concessions tickets to many plays. Just go the box office on the day of the performance and ask if the play sells concessions tickets. You might get a ticket for 20-30 pounds depending on the play. You can also phone a theater's box office to inquire if they have concessions tickets for seniors.

My favorite museums are the British and Victoria and Albert. You might not have enough time to visit both though.

Coolum Beach
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in mid May for 60ish old Aussies. What to do ?

Thank you Melb and New York. Yes. It's only a quick stop over before we fly back to Australia after a month touring . No I don't like heights ! Like historical buildings.Military things just to keep the husband happy, but no more than what I mentioned. Just found London Walking Tours with lots of great ideas - the no booking one, just turn up. Yes, we will just stay in London

Was interested in a double Decker bus tour though,as I had done that 30 yrs ago and enjoyed it ! A good idea or not and which company ?

Have already booked The War Horse, so that will do for a theatre visit possibly,except if something else good is on.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
London Walking Tours
London Walking Tours
106 Reviews
London, UK
4. Re: 3 days in mid May for 60ish old Aussies. What to do ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:15