We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring old London

Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
182 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring old London

I am looking for information on walking out of the way quaint, safe, historic lanes in London during a 3 day visit in the spring. I have seen most of the main visitor sites over the years.

Thanks.

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring old London

Have a look at the London Walks schedule. They offer a wide variety of subjects, with accomplished guides. We've done 3 in the past year, enjoying the fact that they either take you through streets and neighbourhoods you wouldn't know of, or their comments shed a different light on familiar sights.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring old London

The City is the oldest part of London and while it has been massively rebuilt, all the old lanes are preserved. You may not have spent so much time there on previous visits.

London, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring old London

I concur with Verity1, the City of London should probably be the focus of your exploration. The area around the Lincoln's Inn and Middle Temple also offers some good nooks and back streets/paths to explore. There are many lesser know sights within the city to explore - seehttp://goo.gl/qlIzx for some good self guided walking tour ideas, and view http://goo.gl/KKBG0 for some lesser known sites you could visit while exploring the City.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring old London

You could make your way to Islington and wander around the area around Upper Street and the Angel. There are some wonderful Georgian streets around there, on both sides of Islington Green.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring old London

http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/london-alleys/

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,951 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring old London

If you go to Kingston (30 minutes from Waterloo), you can see one of the earliest crossing points of the Thames, and where early (Saxon) kings were crowned (the King's Stone). The market still has its ancient street pattern.

Nearby Richmond is mostly Georgian, and has lots of lovely lanes to wander round.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring old London

Go the visitor centre opposite St Paul's- there are guided walks every day from there, of the City (London's most historic areas) am/pm on different themes. About £7. One of the best things I've done in 30+ years of living here.

cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-th…

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,165 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring old London

If you haven't been to the Museum of London, start there to get an overview of how London developed. Lots of the exhibits were dug up in the City when various modern buildings were bring built, so the Museum is often very, very local.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploring old London

In addition to Richmond, Greenwich has a lot of history. + in the centre head east from Liverpool Street Station towards Brick Lane and Spitalfields. Georgian Streets + evdience of the immigrant communities that have come to London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exploring old London

Try the Time Out Book of London Walks, I have the previous issue which I originally ordered Amazon and they're self-guided walks in Greater London. The good thing about Amazon is that you can send the stuff out to a lot of different countries in the world regardless of where you live and do some preplanning!

Edited: 16 December 2012, 17:54