We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel for tall traveler

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
hotel for tall traveler

Strange title, I know..........So many reviews of London hotels/B&Bs cite the room's small size. If you're over 6 feet (and traveling with a spouse), a small room (and tiny bathroom) can be very uncomfortable. We're looking for a hotel that's 4 stars or so (but not super luxury), located fairly centrally to tourist spots (Bloomsbury, Kensington, Notting Hill,etc.). Can be a older converted town house but it would be great not to hear every tread on the stairs or door closing. It's hard to tell from hotel reviews if the writer was very tall -- so I'd appreciate suggestions from taller travelers. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,897 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel for tall traveler

A great many 'small size' rooms in converted terraces will have 10 foot ceilings, so the small aspect of the room may be more a matter of floor space than Max Headroom.

Let us know when you plan to travel, how many nights you'll stay, whether you'll arrive and depart by air or by rail (and from which airport or rail station) and your budget in ££. Are you looking for a room for two or for a family?

UK King beds are 150 x 200cm (60 x 78in), approximately the size of a US Queen size bed. To that end, you may be better off looking for a flat with a King bed rather than a hotel, but please let us know more about your stay as some flats may be better suited than others.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel for tall traveler

We will be in London in mid-March for 4-5 days. We'll arrive at Heathrow and after London take a train to Scotland. Prefer not to exceed 190 GBP/night. We'd thought about a flat but would prefer the assistance of a hotel staff person. Your post raises another question: when hotels say a double room has a "queen-size double bed", does that mean it's smaller than U.S. queen bed? Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,897 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel for tall traveler

UK bed sizes do not include Queen (but see below); what the hotel describes as a 'queen-size double bed' may mean a King (as above) or a UK Double, 140 x 190cm (54 x 75 inches). It's a strange terminology as a UK King ≠ UK Double.

base2stay have rooms with King beds; it's a very nice hotel and may be the business. They do mention Queen beds at the website - a bit unusual, that - but if you can book a room with a King bed I think you would find the hotel more than suitable. Earl's Court station is less than five minutes' walk from the hotel, with step free access to the Piccadilly line for the journey from Heathrow and to King's Cross for the train to Scotland.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,391 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel for tall traveler

If you find a hotel you're interested in, you can email them to check the bed sizes. I've found that they are not really standardized in Europe. I've never had a problem with them not telling me the size of the bed.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel for tall traveler

How tall are you ? I am 6'3" and have never had problems except in one or two country hotels with low ceilings in the bath room.

Largest bed I have ever had was in a Crown Plazza, but only in the double room. The beds were smaller in the rooms with 2 double beds.

Here are UK bed sizes

www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/Specifications.aspx

Edited: 20 December 2012, 07:22
6. Re: hotel for tall traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 December 2012, 08:32
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel for tall traveler

Post 6 reported as spam (see posting history). Please do the same.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel for tall traveler

Have a look around the website of the Tall Persons Club

http://www.tallclub.co.uk/?page_id=17

and send them an email. They hold regular meetings in London, so know all about which hotels are the best.

http://www.tallclub.co.uk/?page_id=26

Here's a couple of news items about them

guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jun/20/take…

and

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-19…

Essex
Level Contributor
27,157 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel for tall traveler

The Hilton London Metropole has massive rooms many of which have 2 huge beds in them. If you stay there, you will not be short of either 'bed-room' or room space!

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

http://www.vfmii.com/exc/aspquery?

command=invoke&ipid=1070999&ids=51011

Edited: 20 December 2012, 17:01
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel for tall traveler

My husband and I are both over 6' tall and find standard British double beds to be too small for us. We even feel cramped in some British king beds if they are soft and we roll into the middle.

Unless we are sure the bed will be big enough we book a room with two twins.