We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting london with a 1 year old

Haverhill, Suffolk
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
visiting london with a 1 year old

I am bringing my 1 year old son to London for a weekend. I was thinking of taking him to the aquarium or the zoo as he likes animals, but the reviews and admission prices are definetly putting me off. Are there any other places in london for young children to see, interact with animals. Also any other suggestions for making our weekend as enjoyable as possible would be appreciated.

london
Level Contributor
119 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

London Zoo, although expensive, is well worth it, you'll easily spend a whole day there wandering about. Plus it's in a park if you get fed up of the zoo. I'd recommend taking a picnic, as the food etc is also v expensive!

The Aquarium is a huge rip-off though. takes an hour (if that) to wander round, and it's nothing differnet to any other aquarium I've been to.

I can't think of anywhere else there'd be animals unfortunately.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

what about one of the city farms? If you google London city farms you'll find a bunch of them.

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

i think there is a small one ..zoo/farm in battersea park

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

i think there is a small one ..zoo/farm in battersea park

Haverhill, Suffolk
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

I think a farm may be more appropriate for him so will check out the search on google. I will definetly give the aquarium a miss so thanks for the replys so far. As I am going in august, I am expecting ques wherever I go.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

It depends where you are staying. Kew Gardens is nice and the ducks, etc, very tame. They like bread, but not too much, please.

Anytown
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

You may want to consider a visit to the Princess Diana Memorial Playground. I think your little one would enjoy his visit there..

mykensington.co.uk/kensington/goingout-parks…

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

Forget London, you'll be far better off coming to Brighton for the day with a 1 y.o; the sunny warm weather, blue sky (today & tomorrow!!) clean air, sea views, the pier, the candy floss, the ice creams, the kiddies rides, fish'n'chips, the seafront, the promenade for stroll, nice bars on the front to sit outside and people watch with a beer/wine or cafe latte, the childrens playground near West Pier, the paddling pool, the aquarium, and there's a very nice little kiddies farm on the edge of towm: Brighton is THEE perfect place to be!! (ok, sorry for everso slight bias :-))

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

There's the Spitalfields Farm -- http://www.spitalfieldscityfarm.org

They used to have a couple of wonderful donkeys -- Bayleaf was my daughter's favourite.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting london with a 1 year old

Coram's Fields in Bloomsbury has Under 5s area & a petting zoo.

About 7 gated secure acres for kids to run about.

Free, supported by charitable trust.

Entrance on Guilford Street, Russell Street tube nearby.

See previous posts on this forum for pix & blurbs.