We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

My wife and I are planning our first trip to London at the end of May. The flight arrives ~21:30 at LHR, so I am assuming we will be at the hotel around midnight. Still being on Boston time, I can't imagine will will just want to check in and go to bed. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for a couple of hours after midnight? We are staying at the Waldorf Hilton, are in our early 40's, and are not drinkers.

Is the walk from Aldwych to Westminster Abbey safe at that time of night? How about suggestions on a late night bus route for a quick tour? Are any restaurants at Covent Garden still open?

Thank you for your suggestions. As an aside, I tried Googling "London after midnight", and got mostly information on the band, and the TALF provided some suggestions on pubs (which again are of no interest at this stage in our lives).

Your insight and suggestions are appreciated.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

Which day of the week will you be doing this?

You could go to Ronnie Scotts jazz club in Soho, and just have coffee.

If you're interested in what is happening back home, the BBC show that night's ABC news at around 1:30 a.m. London time, and the Sky News channel shows the CBS broadcast an hour later.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

If you haven't flown transatlantic before I think you have underestimated how tired you'll be, whatever the theoretical time difference.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

I agree; you will be much more tired/sleepy that you think - jet lag and all that icky air on the plane adds up to a really spacey, tired feeling.

I would assume you will arrive at your lodging about two hours after touchdown (that is a rough estimate) - I would think a quick bite, unpacking, maybe a brief walk in the area and you will be out like lights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

I would prefer to be out of doors so I would walk across Waterloo Bridge and just admire the views.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

Its a long flight and a busy day...no matter what time zone you're on, and Boston is only 6 hours behind London. Assuming you don't need to eat - I would get a nice cup of cocoa and some cookies, unpack your case and settle in while planning your early start for tomorrow.

London won't be going anywhere - enjoy it fresh and relaxed and in the daylight!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

Try to get some sleep in any case.

It is a rare person that can sleep well or enough on a plane, and even though it won't feel like your "bedtime" you should try and adjust to local time the minute you are wheels down.

Wandering around until the wee hours is just going to kill your first day in London, as you'll probably sleep too late.

Re-set your watch and try to get to bed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

Oh, and do set an alarm for the next day or you can wind up sleeping far longer that you want to.

I always find being outdoors helps me feel less of that creepy jet lag/spacey feeling regardless of what time I arrive somewhere so I too like to stay outdoors if possible.

Right now, I'm day two of jet lag misery having just returned from Rome Friday night - so, for me now it is 6 hours ahead and of course, I woke up around 4 this morning and now feel icky. Just a reminder that this jet lag thing hits you coming and going and for me it's the return that is worse.

Edited: 23 December 2012, 16:16
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

Take a sleeping pill and go to bed.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

Thanks everyone. Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking for something extravagant. But knowing how we travel, I know we are going to want to do some thing. The idea of getting outside for a little while sounds appealling. The suggestion of walking across Waterloo Bridge is exactly what I am looking for. I'm just curious about safety at that time of night, and if Covent Gardens just shut down after midnight.

I know the first day is going to be shot, but even if we get five hours sleep after getting out for a little while, we'll still be better off than if we took the red eye.

Thanks again.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in early morning for non-drinkers

<<I'm just curious about safety at that time of night, and if Covent Gardens just shut down after midnight.>>

Covent Garden is busier at the weekend than during the week, but that area is safe at all times of the night. There will also be lots of night buses going past the hotel but that shouldn't disturb you.

The American Bar in the Savoy hotel is open until midnight, except for Sundays: fairmont.com/savoy-london/….

If you're really not tired, and have an oyster card or travel card, then you could get the number 15 bus from outside your hotel to St Paul's Cathedral and then the Tower of London, about 15 minutes away, take some photos and then get the same bus back to your hotel.

Edited: 23 December 2012, 17:09