We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laptops and Internet access

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Laptops and Internet access

Hey all,

Here is a more "techie" question.

I have never traveled with a laptop, but the idea of taking photos and being able to download and share them on my website with others as the trip progresses is an intriguing idea.

The question is this: When in a hotel, and they say they have internet access, but it is the dial up type, how do you connect up to their service? Will they give you an access number or something to put into your computer to use? I mean, I am only familiar with the idea of downloading some sort of software from a disc and then getting an access phone number to call.

I would imagine with wireless, it is simply automatic, your laptop will pick up on it.

I suppose I should also check first to see if the hotel I have selected as any sort of internet connectivity. Also I know I need to check the price..I have heard some stories of sticker shock when it comes to internet access..like 10 pounds a day!

Thanks!

Cynthia

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Laptops and Internet access

Hi SerafinsGirl! Most of the hotels I stayed at in Febr when I took my laptop had ethernet cables (if you have an old laptop make sure you have an ethernet connection, newer models will have ethernet built-in) . You simply plugged in the ethernet cable, clicked on your browser and the hotels webpage popped up. The hotel will give you an access code to type in and you are all set to go. I never had a dial-up connection, they were all high-speed internet and/or wireless.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laptops and Internet access

I've never used dial-up access in the UK, but I imagine you would have to have a local number to call - they would just provide the phone line. And I believe you would need some kind of adapter for their phone jacks.

£10 a day for internet would probably be a deal in London. The internet I've seen in hotels usually runs about £15 per day. Same goes for wireless. It's not normally cheap.

I take my laptop to upload photos from my digital camera, keep up with my trip journal and store trip info. I don't really take it to use for internet access. Sometimes I'm lucky and can pick up a local unsecured wireless network, but otherwise, I just check e-mail once or twice a week at an internet cafe.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laptops and Internet access

I've heard there is free wi-fi at certain places (libraries, restaurants, etc...), but short of hauling yhour laptop around London, you're probably going to have to pay for internet access. I've never found convenient free wi-fi.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Laptops and Internet access

I only got free wifi in East Anglia. The Montague in Bloomsbury said they charged 15 pounds for 24hr access, however, we were never charged for it. Didn't notice until we got home & looked more closely at the receipt.

The Left Coast
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Laptops and Internet access

Hey Sgirl,

London has 52 free wifi hot spot saccording to this

jiwire.com/browse-hotspot-free-united-kingdo…

Make sure your notebook has wireless interface built-in, or get yourself a wireless plugin card (provided notebook has a so call PCMCIA slot).

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laptops and Internet access

Usually the fees for access in hotels are prohibitive. As far as I know, free access hasn't become a standard there. I take my laptop when I go, but don't access the internet from the hotel. I stay at a hotel that has two internet cafes within a block. The rates last time I was there (18 months) were 1 pound/hour or something like that. They have computers you can use and connections where you can just pay to hook up your computer, if you bring your laptop. I wouldn't lug my computer all over town just to get a few free minutes Check with the staff at the hotel regarding local internet cafes.

Here's a directory I found, look up one close to you and you can give them a call to find out what their rates, and rules are. www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1166.php

Do not leave your laptop in your room. Check it with the bell captain and get a receipt.

Iowa
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Laptops and Internet access

I'm going to London for 2 months this summer and was wondering about those 52 spots for free internet. If you have a computer with wireless capabilities can you just sit down at any of those places and use the internet? Or are you charged in any way. I live in a small town and have never had to pay for internet like they do it London so it can seem kind of confusing.

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laptops and Internet access

I knew I could rely on you guys for fast and interesting answers..i didnt know anything about the wireless spots around London..thanks! I also just fired off an e-mail to the internet cafe I used during my last trip, "Reload" on Praed St. in Paddington. I was able to buy a block of hours for my two week stay so that was a good deal, and it was just a couple blocks from my hotel. I asked them if they have some sort of laptop hook up there.

Maybe I am in the dark ages even mentioning dial up. And yes, I DO have DSL here at home! But as for laptops..I dont own one yet, so its kinda new territory for me.

Thanks!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laptops and Internet access

I found that logging in to my work VPN by-passed the hotel's proxy server and gave me free internet. Not my fault the hotel had poor internet security.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laptops and Internet access

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that before, Mr. C. I'll have to give that a try :o)

Do you log on to your laptop through the VPN or log on first, then connect to the VPN?