We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

M25 rush hour traffic

birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
M25 rush hour traffic

Hi,

I have an international flight to catch at 11.30 on a weekday so need to be at Gatwick airport for about 8.30am. I am travelling down from the Midlands on the M40 and know that I cannot avoid the M25 rush hour. How long is it likely to take me from the M40/M25 junction round to Gatwick please. I don't want to travel down the previous night.

Thanks for any help.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

No one knows, it might take 1 hour, it might take 3 or 4, it only needs one small accident.

I would be aiming for Gatwick for 730 both for prudence sake, and to minimize how much traffic there was. So i'd be leaving from (say) m40/42 junction which ought to be a 2 hour journey, by about 530am latest.

You might be early, but thats far better than late.

The M40 is also subject to occasional horrendous jams as well, especially heading London bound, I often see them when driving up in the opposite directions, miles of stationary traffic. I'd be just as worried about that as the M25, once you are on the M25 and past Heathrow, the main traffic flow is on the other side going in the other direction (again, miles of stationary traffic).

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

You might want to consider taking the train. When it is important that I be somewhere on time, I take the one before the one I need to take.

The trains are far from perfect, but they are usually more predictable than the M25 or the M40.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

Friday mornings are a lot better than Mondays but that section of the M25 can be awful at any time of the day and you will be there right in the middle of the rush hour. If all goes well it takes around 50 minutes to reach Gatwick from Heathrow so add another 10 minutes on for the one junction between the M40 and the M4 but if you must catch the flight then consider leaving at stupid o'clock or, despite you saying you don't want to, stay locally. Only you can judge how important catching the flight is.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

I live very close to the M25/40 junction. If I needed to be at LGW for 8.30 am I would allow 1.5 hrs. In good traffic conditions, which are rare at that time on a weekday morning, it can be done in under an hour.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

<< I cannot avoid the M25 rush hour. >>

You can by taking a longer route

A404 from High Wycombe

A308 through Windsor to join the M25 after the crush around the M4 junction.

or

Continue south through Guildford then East to Gatwick.

Which ever way you go you will be subject to unexpected hold ups. I travel 30 miles of the M25 every day. The best my 35 mile commute has been just over 30 minutes last week and the worst two & half hours when an accident happened just after I had past the last opportunity to avoid it. If you must drive in the morning get a Sat Nav with traffic updates as they seem to be quicker to let you know of hold ups than the radio.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

Always have a back up plan for when you see those "M25 - long delays" signs flashing on the M40. Mine is A404, M4, A329M and then head for Guildford and Gatwick via the A25 or the A281. It'll take longer but you've a fair chance of still making the flight.

Mike

UK
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

The M 25 was a disaster area from the start only short time thinking by Parliament 4 year period of elections!! . Had home in Gerrards X at time & one of my ghastly step sons worked on it during vac . Too few lanes didnt take into consideration short journey car drivers.Listen to radio 7 am Programme 4 Humphrey somebody reveals much . regmaiche

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

The M25 couldn't have been a disaster "from the start" as it was never planned as such. It is two halves of two distinct motorways cobbled together when the Government of the day decided that concreting over the Home Counties was not a good idea after all.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/histories/ringways/

As for "short journey drivers", that IMHO is because there are too many junctions. Does there need to be J8, J18, J19, J22, J26 or J29 ?

birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

Thanks everyone for your help. Decided after all to play it safe and travel down evening before. £29 at premier inn, Not Bad !!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: M25 rush hour traffic

Def the best idea. I once spent 4 hours stationary on the M25.