We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fish and chips in a newspaper

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
fish and chips in a newspaper

when I was a kid, we lived thirty minutes outside of london and used to visit the local place (think we called it the chippie) for fish and chips. The fish would come in a newspaper and the chips were in conical butcher paper with vinegar splashed on top.

it was a hole in a wall take away place -- only two or three seats inside. This was years ago, and I am not sure whether (a) these places no longer exist, and (b) whether they exist in london.

Can anyone offer recommendations for places like this?

Edited: 31 December 2012, 00:45
London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

There are plenty of fish-and-chip shops ("chippies") which are mainly take-aways but with a few tables/seats inside. The ones I visit use plain paper rather than newspaper, and are rather brighter and cleaner than when I was a kid. But essentially they are the same as you describe. Where in London will you be staying?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,911 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

Fish and chips shops are ten a penny all over the UK. They're something of a national institution. You won't find one using old newspaper these days though.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 01:13
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,715 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

What area?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

Eating chips out of newspaper was banned by Europe as being unhygenic years ago.

And despite Bungle's assertion that fish and chip shops are ten a penny, they are actually quite scarce and are outnumbered by kebab shops and curry house by a ratio of 20 to 1 at least.

There are a handful of good ones in London, if you let us know whereabouts you are staying we could point you in the direction of one nearby

Edited: 31 December 2012, 08:00
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

The nearer the coast, the better the chippy. I haven't found one in London that can be described as outstanding.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

Many pubs now do passable to really good fish and chips

But not in newspaper

Some chippies use frozen fish and can't cook chips to save heir lives

I'm with henneth head to the seaside and sit on he promenade

Seagulls permitting

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,442 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

Agree with the others. Best fish & chips I've ever had was in Whitby - a fishing village up in Yorkshire. I avoided the crazy busy Magpie Cafe and went to Hadlee's. Fantastic!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,911 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

>>Eating chips out of newspaper was banned by Europe as being unhygenic years ago. <<

"Banned" by Europe? Do you have any actual evidence of that? I don't ever remember having fish and chips in newspaper and I was born in 1973.

>>And despite Bungle's assertion that fish and chip shops are ten a penny, they are actually quite scarce <<

I beg to differ. IME one is never that far from one. There are at least three within walking distance of my house

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,657 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

Harry Ramsdens (and some others) serve their food in replica food-safe newspaper-like paper

http://www.harryramsdens.co.uk/

As leuca says, many pubs F&C is better than take-aways, even though (or possibly because) it'll probably be cooked from frozen. In fact Sainsbury's (supermarket) cafe is pretty good at under £5.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fish and chips in a newspaper

Hi Bungle

As a lad in the late fifties early sixties we used to save up all our old newspapers and I used to take them to the local chip shop in exchange for a bag of chips

Sometimes on the way there I would be joined by one of my friends, and I would give him half of my pile

This meant we would get a bag each

I am sure Harriet knew our scam but didnt mind

Then some diktat came out stopping this practice, don't know where from though

Our chip shop used to rap them and thn tear a hole in the paper through which you reached for the chips, thus keeping them warm

Memories DCM eh?