We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

What are the options for getting from Cambridge to Gatwick Airport?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

I'd suggest a train down to London Kings Cross or Liverpool St, then the tube to Victoria, then a 30 minute train ride to Gatwick.

I've driven Cambridge-Gatwick which took about 1 hour 45 minutes (as would a taxi), but this greatly depends on time of day/congestion, and if you choose road I would build in lots of spare time.

There's probably a direct bus, but I suggest either a taxi (£90 or so I reckon for a mini cab), or train.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

There is no direct Train and no direct bus. Going by train just change in King Cross and St pancras station to Underground (Victoria line) to Victoria station and then take direct train from there. otherwise just take bus to Victoria coach station and then take train or bus to Gatwick. 3rd option simply take taxi (private cab).

Have a good 2013 year :)

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

What's the point of going to Victoria?

Train to King's Cross, walk across the road to St. Pancras, First Capital Connect train to Gatwick. Simples!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

I would take the train. Take the First Capital Connect service to King's Cross, then walk across to St Pancras station for the First Capital Connect train towards Brighton. Whilst this takes longer than taking the Victoria Line to Victoria then the Gatwick Express (for which your ticket is valid) it's a lot less hassle than getting suitcases up and down stairs to the Tube station and a busy Tube train.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,498 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

There are also direct National Express coaches from Cambridge to both Gatwick Terminals - it is a four-hour journey.

nationalexpress.com/assets/…797.pdf

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
888 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

I wouldn't bother with the underground and getting to Victoria, and instead walk across the road to St Pancras and get the train to Gatwick from there. If you have luggage, that would certainly be easier than schlepping it through the tube (esp. at Victoria, which is not the friendliest station for those with bags).

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

Four hours on a coach? Sounds like a nightmare. The train is 2 to 2 1/2 hours, and if you're lucky the train will run non-stop from Cambridge to King's Cross.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

I'm with Bungle - it's exactly as I've done this journey (from/to Brighton). There are fast trains from Cambridge to Kings Cross that take 50 mins. Cross the road to St. Pancras Station, and pick up the First Capital Connect train heading south to Brighton, which stops at Gatwick.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

I'd go with that to, nice and simple. Just be aware when you walk into St Pancras, the FCC entrance is towards the back of the station, a short distance from the Starbucks branch and the escalators up to the upper level.

I've seen it myself when in the station. I know there's lifts so you wouldn't have a problem with luggage. If you ended up on the Liverpool Street line for a cheaper station parking, just get off at Tottenham Hale and get the Victoria Line to Kings Cross, there's a lift down there, All I'm saying is Cambridge parking is rather expensive at the station, and somewhere like Whittlesford Parkway has a very reasonable daily rate.

Out of interest, would you be coming from the Huntingdon direction? I'm just thinking if you were, consider getting someone to drop you off at one of the Guided Busway park and ride sites, and catch service A through to the station. This may save you large parking charges. Otherwise, if you are coming in from a different direction, do consider getting the bus to the station and saving some parking charges. The Buses from Cottenham, Histon, etc go straight to the station via the city centre, from Arbury the C1 goes direct to, Fulborn the same, and from Trumpington p&r catch service A to the station via Addenbrookes, and Babrham and Milton Park and ride buses go via the train station to, the only service which doesn't is Newmarket and Madingley Road, but that's a simple change. The cost of a single is likely to be cheaper than a week's parking at the station.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cambridge to Gatwick Airport

Wow! This is amazing. Thank you everyone (9 replies) for your great information. This is the first time I've posted a request for trip advise. My daughter and son-in-law live in Cambridge, very close to the train station, so parking is not an issue. I have also walked to Parker's Piece to get the National Express to Heathrow, a 15 minute walk. Also thank you wirewiper for the Cambridge to airports National Express schedule. I looked for that and could not find it. Considering time and simplicity, I will take to train to Kings Cross, and train from St. Pancras to Gatwick. I did something similar when I took the EuroStar to Paris, and it was easy and fast. Thank you all again, and Happy New Year!