We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zookeeper for a day at London Zoo

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Zookeeper for a day at London Zoo

Has anyone done the Zookeeper for a Day experience at London Zoo? It says you can take a spectator as "there may be opportunities during the day for them to see you completing the tasks with the animals". I got a voucher for the zookeeper experience for Christmas from my boyfriend which I'm really excited about! I want to bring him along as a spectator but don't know if it will be worth it if he hardly gets to see me, if he has to spend 7 hours wandering around the zoo by himself - which would be fun but that's not the point. I was thinking of booking in to do the experience on my birthday but if my boyfriend won't get to see me all day - and since I will have to get up really early in the morning to get there - I'm not sure if there's any point. I was wondering if anyone had done the experience and taken a spectator?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zookeeper for a day at London Zoo

Closest I've had of that experience was watching Johnny Morris on "Animal Magic". He seemed to enjoy himself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zookeeper for a day at London Zoo

I bought this as a gift for my OH a couple of years ago but didn't bother to go as a spectator. From his description, it sounds like the group of zookeepers were given talks about the various animals and got to go behind the scenes. Some of the others had brought spectators, but it sounded like they only saw the zookeepers at a few points (e.g. when the zookeepers were feeding the giraffes, spectators could see them from a distance). Mostly the group of zookeepers interacted with one another.

Does your boyfriend have another friend he could go to the zoo with for the day? That sounds better than wandering around alone.

Have fun! Even 18 months later my OH still talks excitedly about his experience and the factoids he learned. (Did you know anteaters are very dangerous animals?)

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zookeeper for a day at London Zoo

Thanks - he would be going by himself and I imagined he would be effectively following us around all day but you're right, there will be lots of times when I will go into areas not open to the public and even when we are in public enclosures he might have to watch from a distance. We would both have to take a day off work to do it so I guess there's not much point him doing that. I was thinking of booking it for my birthday so maybe I still should then he can meet me afterwards when I have finished and take me to dinner :-)

4. Re: Zookeeper for a day at London Zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 01:15