We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

Kosice, Slovakia
2 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

What is the most efficient way to get from Stansted Airport to the Bournemouth?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,620 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

At what time of day and on what day of the week does your flight arrive at Stansted? Will you be a solo traveller or make the trip with others? Are you willing to make a long coach journey or would you rather take the train from London?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

What is the most efficient way to get from Stansted Airport to the Bournemouth?

=======

Flying to Bournemouth or Southampton airports instead. Have you already bought your ticket? Its a very tedious trip.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,585 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

Bournemouth is completely the opposite side of London to Stansted, and as Joe says a very tedious journey however you make it. It would be far easier to fly into an airport the "right" side of London. Bournemouth or Southampton would be closest, but if they don't serve your city then Heathrow or even Gatwick would be better than STN.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

Or (in addition to the suggestions above), Birmingham airport (direct trains from the airport to even Bristol (although you have to get to the station and change at least once). Avoiding going through London is be a big win.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

Generally, Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale, Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, cross platform change to Bakerloo Line to Waterloo and then train to Bournemouth.

Try and buy a through ticket that will include the tube journey.

Bournemouth can be reached from Birmingham by direct train and all of Gatwick, City and Heathrow with only one change.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,585 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

^^^^ LCY would require 2 changes (Canning Town and Waterloo). But still easier than STN.

london
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

Honestly Stansted is probably no worse than other options - ideally you'd fly into Southampton or Bournemouth airports, but that's unlikely to be an option unless you live in an English sun holiday destination.

From Birmingham it's a full 3 hours on a rattly overpriced Crosscountry train, Luton isn't really much more convenient, and Heathrow, which would be better (via Railair to Woking), is likely to expensive to fly to too.

I'm not sure if there are cheap flights to Gatwick, but it will be by far the cheapest option for onward travel, at under £20 for a walk-up single on Southern trains, compared to £60 for a single from Stansted (but probably less in advance), and £91 from Birmingham (again, less in advance).

I would target Gatwick on low-cost flights (Easyjet from Budapest?), but if not then Stansted is perfectly acceptable, but you would need to provide more info on whether you are on the lowest budget or are looking for more comfort/convenience, as well as dates, to provide more info

Edited: 04 January 2013, 14:39
Kosice, Slovakia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

Thanks for your advice. I still don´t have tickets... I will travel with my 4 years old son so it is quite important question.

There are some flights to Bristol too I wasn´t aware of, it will be much easier to get there from Bristol. Thanks a lot.

Daniela

Bournemouth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

What is the cheepest way to get between bmth and stanstead besides hitching a ride?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,561 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Stansted airport to Bournemouth

See answers 1 & 5