We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London cruise terminal in Tilbury

Nevada
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
London cruise terminal in Tilbury

We are taking a cruise out of the London cruise terminal in Tilbury in late May. We are coming in the day before and want to just crash (jet lag from west coast US) and maybe shop for snacks for the cruise. Will take a transfer to some hotel near the cruise terminal from Heathrow airport. Does anyone know if any of the hotels in Thurrock, Dartford, etc., have a shuttle to the cruise terminal and maybe Lakeside shopping center? Thanks for any info.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

I don't know of any transfer services from Heathrow to Tilbury, but have a look at www.cruisecritic.com as one of the boffins there may know.

Staying in TIlbury won't have the same choice as hotels in the city; consider booking a hotel in London near Fenchurch Street station. Not only will you be able to take a train from that station to Tilbury, but you will be in a much more interesting area than the cruise ship docks, an area that comes complete with shops and a few places of interest, eg the Tower of London.

There are a handful of hotels within five minutes' walk of Tower Hill (for the Underground) and Fenchurch Street stations. Consider the Apex City of London, Novotel Tower Bridge, Grange Tower Bridge, Premier Inn Tower Bridge (in Prescot Street, not the hotel in Tower Bridge Road), Grange City Hotel in Cooper's Row, Hotel Indigo and Chamberlain Hotel. More modest but quite acceptable for a one night stay is the Travelodge Tower Bridge in Goodman's Yard.

Travel time from Heathrow to Tower Hill is about 50 minutes; trains from Fenchurch Street to Tilbury take 45 minutes. Should you travel to Tilbury at the weekend, Anytime single fare is just £8.80 per person, no need to book in advance. www.c2c-online.co.uk for train times.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

I have twice sailed from Tilbury, it is a very large working dock area and not somewhere I would stay.

Both times, at the end of the cruise, the cruise company has laid on coaches to take passengers into central London so I assume they pick up at the start of the cruise, possibly from Victoria coach station or similar, (we drive down), it would be worth asking them if they have a pick up point in London on the start day.

Nevada
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

Thank you both for the information. You can get a sedan to Tilbury for about $60. Just easier for us as we don't want to do anything but crash. Seabourn has people staying at the Savoy - we just didn't want the cost for just needing a bed. Hoping for someone who did know the places near the terminal. There is a Hilton not to far away and a Premier Inn.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,631 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

I've not heard of any hotel in the Thurrock area having shuttles to the Cruise Terminal, but presumably they would call you a taxi if you asked them .....

I know Thurrock reasonably well, and I too think you would be better off staying in London and taking advantage of the Cruise Company's transfer to Tilbury.

Edited: 06 January 2013, 10:46
Nevada
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

Again, thank you everyone! It is really nice to have people actually answer back!

Checked with a reviewer who had cruised and stayed at the Hilton near Tilbury terminal before. So for anyone who does not want to pay London prices for just one evening here is what she messaged me. “For transport to the Hilton Dartford we used OTS, link follows: http://www.ots-uk.co.uk. The cost was less than $100 US, and they will meet you with a sign. It was very convenient. It is a madhouse if you do not organize a pickup. Taxi or other companies all charge about the same. It is at least an hours drive. I believe it is a Tilbury company as we simply had the driver return next morning to take us to the ship, the cost was about $25 US. We also arrived early at the hotel and had no problem getting a room.”

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

I'd sooner pay London prices than stay at the Dartford Hilton

Fareham, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

Good morning,

There is one good hotel close to the Cruise Terminal; Orsett Hall also Park Inn at Grays or a choice of clean, comfortable 'budget hotels' marketed as Premier Inns.

There are links at www.londoncruiseterminal.com

Richard Exley

Harbour Master & Cruise Manager

Nevada
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

Just want to thank everyone! Now looking at the hotels that TravelerPlus mentioned near the Tower Bridge. We will have 4 suitcases and can’t juggle them on a train so need to take a van/taxi as the airport shuttle doesn’t serve the Novotel Tower Bridge (or I imagine that area). Thinking that limo cost’s will be twice as high, but want to check if there is an “off and on” bus close as then we could get an overview of London. Been through there a few time but really have never seen in.

I also want to thank the Harbour Master & Cruise Manager for taking time to answer my question. I will also check out the hotels that you mentioned!

This is the first time I’ve asked a question on Trip Advisor and I am really really pleased that there are people on here that help!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

Dartford is south of the River in Kent.

Tilbury is North of the River in Essex, and near the mouth of the Thames Estuary.

Whoever suggested the Dartford Hilton as a good choice for a stay for a departure from Tilbury needs to review their geography, IMO!

There are some good hotels in Essex that whilst not IN Tilbury itself, are easy to reach from London by Public Transport, and closer for a taxi ride to Tilbury in the morning than the Dartford Hilton will ever be (plus why take the risk of the Dartford Crossing at rush-hour - the traffic is often 'stacked up' for miles.......)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London cruise terminal in Tilbury

You might want to post your question regarding Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) buses in another thread but in fact there are two companies offering a very similar product, Original London and Big Bus.

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

There is an airport shuttle company called Hotelbybus but for four people going to a hotel to the east of the central area a pre-booked car service will be much cheaper and a lot quicker.