We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london for the first time

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
london for the first time

hi everyone we are travelling to london for the first time and in need of information, there will be 4 adults and we are staying at premier inn coutny hall

1. what is the best way to get from heathrow to county hall

2.what would be the best way to get from county hall to southampton for our cruise

3.when we return will stay at county hall again then onto rest of europe, thinking of driving london to scotland is this an ok drive and what is a good car company with reasonable rates, wish to leave car at edinburgh

any info would be a great help

thank you

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london for the first time

Take the train to Edinburgh and hire the car there.

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: london for the first time

Heathrow to county hall isn't great with luggage. Underground from airport on Piccadilly line to Piccadilly circus, then change to Bakerloo line to Waterloo. Personally though, I'd suggest Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, then change onto District line (no stairs or escalators - you don't even change platform) to Westminster or Embankment station, safe in the knowledge you can easily get a cab from there to take you to your hotel directly over the river (£5 maybe)

County Hall to Southampton is easy. Regular direct trains from Waterloo (your local overground as well as underground station) to Southampton. Takes about 90 mins

Drive to Scotland? Personally I wouldn't attempt it unless I was stopping off overnight en route. And unless you are a super confident driver, you might lay an egg driving through and out of London. It's 7 - 8 hours (if there are no jams / roadworks... unlikely!) of not very interesting or pleasant drive time with no stops. I'd get a train, chill / enjoy view of countryside and hire a car in Edinburgh

melbourne
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london for the first time

thank you, some great advice maybe we will train it to scotland,can we get a car at station?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: london for the first time

With four adults into Heathrow, forget the tube book a car.

www.expressways.co.uk/

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: london for the first time

Wow! That's a really good taxi London taxi site!

Re hiring a car in Edinburgh I'd post on that / a scotland forum....

6. Re: london for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 07:15