We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
105 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

I read the page on the 2-4-1 information, but still have a question. Our group is traveling from Birminghan to London/Paddington on a Monday. Obviously we will have a rail ticket to use towards the 2-4-1 special (interested in Tower of London specifically.) However, since we don't have a return rail ticket, but will be flying out of London, will this still qualify us for the 2-4-1? In addition, if we arrive on a Monday, can we use the 2-4-1 on Weds of that week? After reading the explanation on this site I think the answer is no. (Without a return rail ticket.)

Another question, after we leave Paddington station we need to take the underground to Marybone (sp?) to get to our Maida Vale location. This is not included in our train ticket. Can we get our underground ticket at Paddington and perhaps get our Oyster card then? Suggestions please? We are in London for 3 days. Suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

You will be able to use the rail tickets (with the offers) on the day you arrive from Birmingham, but on no other days.

Buy paper Travelcards at a National Rail ticket office and you may use those paper Travelcards for the offers on the remaining days of your stay. Unless you plan to stop en route, your train from Birmingham will arrive at London Euston rather than Paddington station; buy paper Travelcards at Euston on arrival and use them for the two for one offers.

Where in Maida Vale have you booked to stay?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

As to travelling to Maida Vale, it's a station on the Bakerloo line, as is Paddington. Marylebone is in the opposite direction from Paddington to Maida Vale. Yes, you could get your Oyster cards (as you mention 'our', you - plural - cannot share one) at Paddington but these won't be of any use in connection with 2for1 as you may have gathered already.

Edit: actually a bit confused over where you expect to arrive in London. The principal station for trains from Birmingham is Euston but there is also a service to Marylebone.

Edited: 06 January 2013, 20:35
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
105 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

I am confused too! We purchased rail ticked Birmingham Moor Street to Paddington. When I looked a the location for the area we are staying, it showed Paddington as being the closest rail. I do understand we must make one change from the rail to get to Paddington, it is included in the ticket. I think I put the journey out of order.

Here is the train travel:

Journey: 1 Birmingham Moor Street to London Paddington

Ticket type: Advance Single Valid only on your chosen service. Not refundable. Changeable prior to date of travel for a fee.

Route: Chiltern Trains Only

Outward journey: 18 Feb 2013

departs Birmingham Moor Street at 11:15 travel by train service provider Chiltern Railways to station London Marylebone arrives 13:08 ( seats reserved: Coach: * Seats: ***, ***, ***, *** )

departs London Marylebone at 13:18 travel by London Underground to station London Paddington arrives at 13:25

Does that make sense?

Yes I understand it would be "our" oyster cards, plural.

The address in Maida Vale is

17, Saltram Crescent. London. W9 3JR

Saltram F1-(2)

17 Saltram Crescent, Maida Vale, London W9 3JR

Thanks for your help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

If you are arriving at Marylebone and wish to go to Saltram Crescent, then just buy your Oysters at Marylebone and go there by the best method. The nearest tube is Queen's Park - so one Bakerloo tube train will take you there. Paddington is a "red herring" - just because your ticket says Paddington you don't have to go there!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,287 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

I would not buy Oyster loaded travelcards. Instead buy 1 day paper travelcards (to be eligible for the 241s) from Marylebone ticket office. You can leave the train at Marylebone, no need to continue to Paddington.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

As Westlondoner said, you need not go to Paddington, just alight from the train at Marylebone station.

Since you want to use the two for one offers, buy paper Travelcards at the rail ticket office at Marylebone near platforms 2 and 3: nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/MYB/plan.html

There are stairs up from the Bakerloo line platforms to the ticket hall and street level at Queen's Park; if that will be a problem with bags consider a taxi for the journey.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
105 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

So get off at Marylebone, Take the Bakerloo line, exit Maida Vale.

Recommendation is to forgo Oyster cards and buy paper travelcards. I assume this is daily? The travelcards will then allow us to use 2-4-1. This is the same price I am sure as the cards are merely topped and charged the same fare as usual. What is the charge for the daily ticket?

Splendid advice!

Since you are all so knowledgeable, one more piece of advice please. Our group is interested in buying the day pass for travel on the Thames for one entire day. My understanding is we can get off and on as we please and see the sites, all while traveling the Thames. Worth it? Easy to navigate?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,287 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

Yes you can buy one day travelcards - £7.30 for zones 1+2 per day..

If you mean one of the River Rover tickets , it's easy to do. It's better for going to sites near the river than sightseeing in general as sites are spread out and it's a fairly slow form of transport.

(Queens Park, one stop further, is probably handier for Saltram Crescent btw).

Edited: 06 January 2013, 22:08
Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
105 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

Queens Park. Got it.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rail Ticket Questions, including 2-4-1 and underground

What is the actual destination stated on your ticket? From the itinerary you posted I'm guessing it says something like Zone U1 (Underground Zone 1). You won't be able to use that to travel to Queen's Park as that is in Zone 2.