We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another thread on pronunciation of English words

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Another thread on pronunciation of English words

1. Rochdale = is "dale" pronounced rhyming with "hail" or is it "dell" as in 'Dell Computers'

2. Mancunian (someone from Manchester) = is the "cun" pronounced like "bun" or "dune"?

3. Pall Mall = Pale Male?

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

Vikram,

An interesting post. It's very difficult to explain in text just how words are pronounced. Having said that, certain words or names are pronounced differently in different parts of Britain, for example Newcastle. In Newcastle itself, the castle part of the word is a shortish one that I feel is similar to hassle. But in the South of England, the word castle is more like car sell. And trying to think how different people would sound out car sell or hassle, has made me think I need to eat a Tomato!

Can I answer yours, well here goes:

1. Where I live, I'd use the hail pronunciation.

2. Again, where I am, it's dune.

3. Ah, I say Pall Mall, where Pall is nearer to Al, a shortened male name. Same ending for Mall, being like Al again, rather than the word 'all' (meaning everything).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

What Kuhal said.

The suffix -dale means valley; it's Middle English, from the Old English dael. Pronunciation as in 'over hill, over dale', which is a nifty aide-memoire.

I don't think the middle syllable of Mancunian should be drawn out, as in Man-keyouuuu-knee-an, but the shorter sound of dune.

Prince George: 'Two silly bulls? I don't think so....I remember a fatted calf, quite a sensible animal...'

Blackadder: 'Two syll-aaa-bles'

Prince George: 'I think the whole game's getting a bit syllaaa, to be honest'

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

Another pronounciation, please... Last year I purchased some very delicious cheese called Caerphilly cheese. How is that pronounced?

I know this isn't an English word, but Welsh - but we did buy the cheese at Borough Market. :o)

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

kayb95,

I may be proved wrong by native Welsh Speakers, but Caerphilly is pronounced something like Car Phil ee.

I assume you meant that part, rather than Cheez?

USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

I always thought it was pronounced 'care-filly' Mybe that is how people in the South of England pronounce it

USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

But I am talking cheese

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

According to answers.com it's kär-fĭl'ē

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

I concede to Mr Hornets - how did you get the IPA characters to print out?

'Well, stout yeoman, four ounces of Caerphilly, if you please' - accent just barely on the 'fil' rather than the (expected in English) 'care'. Back to silly bulls again.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

A little touch of cut and paste there TP!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,249 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another thread on pronunciation of English words

Pall Mall and the Mall are pronounced with a short "a" as in apple. Not in the same was as an American shopping "maul" or "mawl".

I have noticed that locals swallow more of the vowels of place names. So for instance, to a Londoner Highgate is pronounced "Highget" or even "Highgit" not "High-gate". Hampstead is "Hampstid" . On the other hand, Southerners would pronounce Doncaster as "Don-casster" while locals seem to call it "DONcester".