We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lower Marsh Waterloo - HL105686 - They canceled my booking!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Lower Marsh Waterloo - HL105686 - They canceled my booking!

What recourse, if any, do I have when a property owner double books an apartment and then cancels?

I paid a deposit to these people on Oct 5 through Paypal. On Dec 13 they refunded our deposit, stating that for "reasons outside of our control" they are canceling all their bookings.

After many phone calls, it turns out they double booked our apartment. They left me with less than 2 weeks to find another suitable rental during the holiday season between Christmas and New Years. I was not able to find another apartment in anything close to my price range.

The real problem is the SIX airline tickets I purchased from Rotterdam, NL to London that were wasted. Those tickets cost me 640 euro. That is money out of my pocket that I feel they owe me because they don't know how to properly run a business.

What options do I have? Any advice is appreciated.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,390 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lower Marsh Waterloo - HL105686 - They canceled my booking!

Claim on your travel insurance.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lower Marsh Waterloo - HL105686 - They canceled my booking!

Why didn't you post on here back then asking for advice on other rentals? Pretty sure you'd have been pointed in the direction of quite a few if you had.

If it was cancelled within the time given on their cancellation policy then I doubt there's anything you can do except try to claim on your holiday insurance, or via your credit card, if that's how you paid.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lower Marsh Waterloo - HL105686 - They canceled my booking!

You could always sue them if you feel so inclined.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lower Marsh Waterloo - HL105686 - They canceled my booking!

I think one of the issues you would face trying to get your money back is that there was no reason you still couldn't travel. The airline will not accept "No hotel" as an excuse, and neither will your Credit Card company if you tried to get a refund from them.

Shame you didn't come on here as soon as that happened.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lower Marsh Waterloo - HL105686 - They canceled my booking!

It would really depend on the terms and conditions. If they broke a contract then you probably could sue them, but you would probably have to demonstrate that you had no choice but to cancel your flights. That might be difficult, as I know there were many hotel bargains for the period between Christmas and New Years (except for New Year's Eve). They could argue that it was your choice not to use your plane tickets.

Have you actually written to them explaining the situation? Surely this should be the first step before deciding what action, if any, to take. It's just possible, if highly unlikely, they might not want the hassle of a dispute and give you something towards your costs.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 15:52
6. Re: Lower Marsh Waterloo - HL105686 - They canceled my booking!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 06:17