We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

Hello all.

I am so glad I found this place.

Wed the 10th I am leaving for London (I'm an avid traveler but this is my first time to the UK).

I am going for work

When we arrive (I am taking my mother along as a mother's day present) (our non stop virgin atlantic flight comes in around 9am), we need to catch a train and head to Southampton to then get on a ferry for the Isle of Wight. Is there such a train?

We will each have 1 piece of carry on and 1 piece of regular luggage.

We will stay on the Isle of wight until the 13th(saturday) and head back to London on the 13th- sometime during mi-day or so.

We have a hotel booked in Kensington on Cromwell road. There is a possibility that we might have to go back to Wight on Sunday- depending on if we get everything done the first two days or not.

My big issue is catching the train from the Airport to Southampt (we were supposed to have someone pick us up but he just bailed) I dont want to change trains if at all possible.

What do you all suggest?

Also, while in London, we want to see as much as possible- we are power walkers- get up at 6 am and dont go back to the hotel till 9pm and rarely sit down to eat lunch. Do you reccomend the double decker hop-on hop off tour?? (I've always wanted to ride one) or that we do it on our own w/ a bus travelcard?? I would prefer to not have to take the tube if we dont have to, but just in case- do travel cards cover buses and the tube??

I apologize for the multitude of questions. I am a bit neurotic when it comes to traveling, till I get there and then its all good.

Also I have read tons of posts on here and you all seem like smashing group of ppl (;) figure I get used to the lingo :) )

thanks in advance for taking the time

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

"For those of you who have experienced either or both,

which is more comfortable? train or coach?"

Auryn: For short distances, buses are fine, but I always prefer the train.

florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

Fabulous.

Ive checked out the site and seems that return ticket is about 37BP.

The fact that the bus station is in the airport is great- no taxi getting

I wish I could get a ticket that goes

heathrow-southampton

southampton-kensington

would make it easier on the way back.

DO you reccomend I buy the ticket online now before heading out?

Although I am going on a work trip I am self employed so economy is a must and this will work out great I hope.

I am starting packing today- Im very excited.

I'm bringing 14 rolls of film :)

London
Level Contributor
796 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

You could book two singles (booking Southampton to London Central/Victoria) or call them to book the return ticket you need.

london
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

I would think about getting coach to southampton from LHR.Once you arrive at lhr you only have to get to bus stand,get on bus,get off southampton.The buses are pretty comfy and if you choose to sit upstairs you get agood view.Agree train is better for longer journey,so maybe catch the train back to central london from southampton.You get to do both then.

UK
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

If you do decide to travel back from Southampton to London by train, you would probably think it would be cheapest to buy a single - costing £25.30. However, a cheap day return where you would have to come back on the same day costs £25.80 - 50p more!

However... there is a promotion where you can get 50% off Cheap Day Return tickets (not singles!). All you need to do is download the voucher here http://www.halfpricetraintickets.co.uk/ present that at the ticket window and et voila! buy Cheap Day Return for only £12.90. You wouldn't even need to use the return ticket and so can travel in one direction.

florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

THanks for all the continuing info

its making plannign this so much easier than it started out being

Lawrence- thanks for the tip

I checked it out but unfortunately when you read the restrictions its open only for UK residents.

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

I'm a bit puzzled by all the references to Southampton. The quickest crossing to the IoW is from Portsmouth Harbour on the Wightlink FastCat. Journey time is 15 mins with departures at 15 and 45 past each hour. To save money, download the coupon from the Wightlink website wightlink.co.uk for two day return tickets @ £10. Don't use the return portion. You'll still save over the regular single fare.

From Heathrow I'd rake the Railair bus to Woking and get the train to Portsmouth Harbour.

When you come back to London think about using the Megatrain offer and travel from Portsmouth Harbour (or Portsmouth & Southsea, or Southampton) to Waterloo for ONE POUND. I kid you not. Check out Megatrain.com for more info. I did this on a long weekend on the IoW recently and saved shedloads of dosh. With the Wightlink coupon the whole trip is a steal. By the way, the train journey from Portsmouth to London Waterloo takes just over an hour and a half.

You didn't mention where you were going on the Isle of Wight, but feel free to ask if you need any more info.

florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

rentaquote

thanks for all the info

im gonna go check it out now

The reason for going to southampton is that I am going to east cowes on the Isle of Wight

thats where our B&B is and where the show that we are going to (RIBEX) will be.

I have been told that southampton is the closest point to cowes.

My thing is, I will be coming off a non stop transatlantic flight at 9 am that day and I don't sleep on plains. I have no fear of flying (I love it actually) I just cant sleep on em.

I will look into the great deal you just told me about.

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

If you go to the FAQ on the National Express website it will direct you to a travel planner for an open jaw ticket. I found LHR-Southampton-London was the same price as a return to LHR. You could likely save some money that way.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,631 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Train from Heathrow to Southampton??

Auryn,

You are getting some great options here. One more thought - I noticed the RIBEX website had a link to Red Funnel who operate the fast ferry (22 minutes) from Southampton to West Cowes and who are offering packages.

Talking of RIB, a company has just launched trips on The River Thames in London on RIB's. They sound like fun even if they aren't cheap - http://www.londonribvoyages.com/index.php

On your arrival at Heathrow, to get to the bus station from Terminal Three, just follow the signs and you will head along an underground walkway which has moving travelators (when they are working). You can take your trolleys (carts) and it will take about 6-8 minutes. At the tube station just look for the lifts that will take you up into the bus station which has a small waiting area and coffee shop.

You didn't say how long you have in London but the double decker hop on/hop off bus tours are a very good way of getting your bearings and you will see and learn a lot in a short space of time. There are two companies offering this tour Big Bus & Original London. You can save a couple of pounds by booking online but it's not necessary. If you then have longer in London, you should consider a travelcard of some kind. Check out www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl and click on tickets and please ask again should anything be unclear.

adamhornets@yahoo.com