We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the shard

sharm mel sheik
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
the shard

does any body know the nearsest car park [ reasonable] to the shard as i have to take a 90 year old there for her birthday

Essex
Level Contributor
27,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the shard

Take a Taxi......

They will drop you off right at the door.....

Where are you setting off from??

And why do you HAVE to go there - there are many other places you cold visit also....

Edited: 12 January 2013, 17:11
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the shard

Hopefully you arent thinking about travelling round London using a car?

Use taxis if she cannot manage the tube or buses, a car will be impractical for getting around in general, as well as almost certainly more expensive than a rental car.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the shard

OMG I messed that last bit up !

That should be "as well as almost certainly more expensive than taxis"

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: the shard

I would like to visit the Shard travelling by car. Although I can walk a little, I do not have the capacity ( health reasons) to get to local station, access the platform via steep steps, climb onto train, off at Waterloo, access another train, no guarantee of seats, etc, etc. Taxis are expensive.

All credit to a 90 year old who wants to keep up with new sights.Use your imagination.

So any advice on reasonably priced parking please?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,885 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the shard

londontown.com/ParkingInformation/…

Reasobaly priced parking? In London?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the shard

<<Taxis are expensive>>

So is parking, petrol, congestion charge.

<<Use your imagination.>>

OK .... . I am imagining you not being able to park nearby the Shard, getting lost in one way systems, having to spend £20 for 3 hours parking.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the shard

I am happy as anything that anyone is interested in a new building, whatever their age and however.... um... 'unappealing' that buiding is (IMO that is!)

However, even if you can find somewhere to park nearby, you then still have to walk there...

Hence my original suggestion of Taxi, which will drop you at the door with no further to walk....

Good Luck, anyway!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the shard

On top of whatever the parking fee will be, just how much is the congestion charge these days?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
19,002 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the shard

Maybe the OP (is post # 4 the same person?) has tickets for the Shard viewing platform? The building itself might not be a tourist attraction but the viewing platform is proving popular.

As others have said though, a car isn't the best mode of transport for central London.

http://www.theviewfromtheshard.com/

10. Re: the shard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 06:17