We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it doable?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
on the lake
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is it doable?

We are a group of 8 adults and will be in London 5 days then traveling to Paris by Eurostar. We want to do a tour of Normandy preferably the day we arrive in Paris. Is this doable? Is there a direct train from London to somewhere near Normandy?

I posted a similary question on the Paris forum and was told to either "spend 2 days in Paris or spend 2 days in Normandy". This isn't an option for our group. (Oh the joys of being the group leader)

London, England
Level Contributor
7,850 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it doable?

Have you read the reviews on the Normandy Forum? Plenty of info there.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it doable?

So, to summarise, you asked on the Paris forum if it was possible to visit Normandy in an afternoon from Paris, and when you didn't like the answer you got, you thought you'd ask on the London forum if it was possible?

As post 1 says, look at the Normandy forum, but the bottom line is always going to be, you cant do a tour in an afternoon from Paris, however you cut it.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it doable?

No, as they said on the Paris forum, it isn't possible, and if it were it would leave you virtually no time in Paris. Do you really want to spend most of your time travelling and not actually staying anywhere?

There are ferries to Normandy from Southern England but that would take even longer (and would involve trains to the ports too) and be far more stressful than Eurostar.

on the lake
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it doable?

If I can't ask if there is a train that goes from London to Normandy on the London or Paris forum.... where do I ask it?

wow.... such friendly forumites...

thank you hermaneriza....I will try the Normandy forum.

on the lake
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it doable?

Thank you Wansteader... that is what I needed to hear.

We wanted to do all our travel in 1 day to leave us 1 full day in Paris instead of a partial day.

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it doable?

4. The problem is not where you ask the question. It's that you don't like the answer. You can ask it in as many forums as you like, it won't change the answer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,086 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it doable?

I am not suggesting for a moment that this is a good idea, but it is logistically possible to get a train from London to Portsmouth in the early evening, take the overnight ferry to Caen ( note that Normandy is a fairly large area in Northern France, not a specific town or city), arrange a guide with a car to collect you in Caen, take you to the fantastic memorial there, then to a few other WW2 sites and then get a train to Paris in the early evening. Not a sensible option and certainly not a cheap one but I think it works logistically.

on the lake
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it doable?

thank you soooo much brittraveller.

and thank you to all the nice people who answered the question without being snarky. That was all I wanted.... a yes its doable or a No its not doable.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it doable?

I thought that previous threads had established that there were organised battlefield tours to Normandy starting from Paris or Caen. Have you googled that? Paris is only two hours by train from London and Caen is about the same from Paris. You could leave London really oearly and be in Caen by lunchtime. Or perhaps you could gat a Ryanair or low cost flight from a London airport to somewhere in Normandy. Rouen perhaps? And rent a car. Again, very troublesome and expensive but possibly doable.

Another possibility is to go to Cherbourg on the ferry, rent a car and drive about 2 hours to the landing beaches.

In fact I have just googled Caen battlefield tours and come up with lots of offerings. Have a look.

You must appreciate that Normandy is a region of France and France is a very centralised country with Paris at the centre of the transport network. Connections with the UK are very secondary in the minds of the French government.

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it doable?

That was all I wanted.... a yes its doable or a No its not doable

---

Ok, yes its doable. In a yes its doable to just spend your time looking at the inside of a train carriage.

Its a seriously stupid idea, but if you want to throw your money away then I suppose its marginally less wasteful than chucking it in the bin.