We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Station upgrade

Hoppers Crossing...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Station upgrade

Hi, I am staying at Novotel London West | 1 Shortlands | London | W6 8DR in March and wish to get to Gatwick on the 16th March. I have noticed on the website that there are several interuptions on the line from Hammersmith to Victoria Station.

Is this train travel still relatively easy or will I be jumping on and off buses as well?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,044 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

Refurbishment at Victoria Underground station has been ongoing for some time and isn't due to finish for five years. Passengers continue to use the station every day as it's one of the busiest Underground stations.

Rather than works within the station itself, it is planned track maintenance that will affect on your journey on 16 March, as there will be no District line trains between South Kensington and Aldgate East.

You may take the Piccadilly line from Hammersmith to Hyde Park Corner, a step free journey (use the ramp at exit 1 up to street level) and taxi from there to Victoria. Alternately, Piccadilly line to Green Park for a change to the Victoria line to Victoria, but there are stairs from the ticket hall to street level at the latter station.

Edited: 15 January 2013, 02:09
Hoppers Crossing...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

Thank you for your advice.

Hoppers Crossing...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

Thank you for your advice. Perhaps a taxi from Hammersmith may be easier. Do you know approximately how much the fare may be?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,044 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

Taxi fare will depend on time of day and day of the week, but probably in the area of £18 - 25. There is, if memory serves, a slip road from Shortlands to Talgarth Road eastbound, which could be a quicker way towards central London than along Kensington High Street, but could also be a car park at early morning peak hours.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

If you are prepared for a 46 minute bus journey roughly take the 211 from Hammersmith Broadway direct to Victoria coach station and just walk 4 minutes to the train station. This is what tfl's journey planner suggests for people with mobility issues.

That may be simpler with luggage or you can get a bus to Hyde Park Corner and change but in my opinion going direct is easier.

Hoppers Crossing...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

Thank you. I like that idea. If it goes direct, it makes sense to catch that bus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

How about a 12 minute bus journey on the 190 down Fulham Palace Road to West Brompton, then train to Gatwick from there (with a change at Clapham Junction). West Brompton also has the Easybus to Gatwick, although this will be slower than the train.

Hoppers Crossing...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

Really.. This sounds a lot easier than getting to Victoria Station. I will check this out. Thank you

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

Yes, I would recommend option 4.

You could take the underground to West Brompton, but it would be a pain with luggage. Either take a cab or the bus from where you are staying to get there.

It is easy enough to transfer between platforms at Clapham.

10. Re: Victoria Station upgrade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 06:18