We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate dress for a show

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate dress for a show

Hi!

We're coming to London mid-March. We've bought tickets to see Spamalot at The Playhouse Theater on a Saturday night. Can anyone tell me what the appropriate dress is for myself, husband and two teenage boys? Since we're traveling, we want to pack as lightly as possible, but we don't want to be under dressed either. Thanks for your help!

Michelle

London, United...
Level Contributor
690 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

Wear what you like and what you feel comfortable in. Hardly anyone dresses up for shows.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

Agree with post 1

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

Thanks to both of you for your responses! Jeans with a collared shirt won't get my sons kicked out or stared at?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

Absolutely not. It's quite hard to get yourself stared at in London.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

I dont think people would even stare at underpants and a bow tie.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

Thanks so much! I will not worry about it then! :) (However, I won't be wearing my underwear with a bowtie either)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

I'm afraid you can't wear just your bow tie; you will have to wear underwear with it too, though it has been rumoured that a bill to legalize public nudity may be in the pipeline.

Seriously, though, I saw Spamalot at its previous home at the Harold Pinter last year, and dress really was anything goes. You really would have to try very hard to be thrown out of any venue in London for wearing jeans with an open-necked shirt. This is a question that comes up all the time, and I can only imagine that the British are much more relaxed than the rest of the world. Even at the Royal Opera House you will see people wearing everything from black tie to motorbike leathers. I think that it's still considered bad form for a gentleman to cover his head indoors, with the exception of religous dress, e.g. for Jews and Sikhs, but otherwise I think that the old rules have long since gone by the wayside.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,892 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

Paradoxically, I think people might raise an eyebrow if you *did* wear the correct attire for the theatre ...

Boston...
Level Contributor
959 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

Wear what you like and what you feel comfortable in. Hardly anyone dresses up for shows.

==================================

I was going to say that, but then I thought perhaps I'd seen such casual dress because I usually go to matinees.

Guess not!

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appropriate dress for a show

Thanks to all of you so much! This helps tremendously. :)