We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

York, United Kingdom
1 post
Save Topic
Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

Imagine a situation where you go for a night out with your mates, you enjoy the evening, have a few drinks and then things start to get a bit blurry in your memory. You wake up the next day to find out your bank account has been rinsed off for a substantial amount of money. Surely, you couldn’t have spent that much, unless you were buying everyone drinks all night at the bar, which is just not like you. You’re starting to panic and desperately trying to piece together what happened the previous night. And then you realise you have absolutely no recollection of what happened for 6 or 9 hours whilst you were out, and how you managed to get yourself home. You find it strange, because you had had a drink before, but it just never happened that you didn’t remember anything at all for such a long time. Has that ever happened to you? Have a read then…

It is possible that you are a victim of a strip club scam. A while ago, I went out with my work colleagues for a few drinks in Buckinghamshire. The last thing I remember is that I was on the dance floor just after midnight. Soon afterwards, I went outside with one of my mates who decided to call it a night and took a taxi back to the hotel we were staying in. He was the last person that saw me that night, and I don’t even recall walking out and talking to him. The next day my mates told me I didn’t get back to the bar and no one knew where I went. The hotel receptionist said I returned to the hotel at around 7 am the next morning, but I have no recollection of that either. I only remember I woke up at 10am in the hotel room, feeling rough and confused.

It took me two days to realise that just over £5000 was missing from my bank account that I couldn’t explain. I thought it was fraud at first, so contacted the bank, the local police and crime stoppers. There were several transactions for similar amounts of money made that night that equated to the big 5K and all verified by pin. The bank statement showed the company name, which didn’t ring a bell, and after doing some investigation on my own I established it was dormant. But on the internet I found that the company recently rented a building that is now a strip club.

Together with my wife and the police we managed to find out what place it was. It turned out to be about 20 miles from the bar I was last seen in. The manager of the club confirmed to the police I was there and there is CCTV footage showing me going in on my own. Unfortunately, there is no CCTV in the actual club, so there is no way of knowing how and who did the transactions. What strikes me is how I got myself there and why I left all of my mates. I didn’t even know about this place, and I don’t even know the local area, as I come from up north. Not to mention, I’m not a strip club regular. The times of the transactions on my bank statement suggest I was in that club for about 5 hours. The club manager said to the police that I didn’t buy any drinks. Imagine that!

Low and behold, I came to a conclusion my drink at the bar where I was last seen by my mates must have been spiked, which would explain the complete memory loss for about 9-10 hours. And somehow, someone must have led me to the strip club. I thought about getting a drug test, but because it was over 60 hours since the incident, it was safe to say any drug of this kind was already way out of my system.

It seems obvious to assume who could benefit from this sort of situation, and that it seems to be a perfect crime. There is no relation between the place I was drugged in and the place where the transactions were made. It’s impossible to detect any drug use, and the fact that the transactions were verified by pin, make me look like a wanker who deserves what happened to him.

If it hadn’t been for my wife who realised this was a scam, I would probably still feel stupidly guilty and not say anything to anyone about it. If you feel something similar has happened to you and you feel helpless, there is something you can do to prevent future crimes like this. Contact the local police and crime stoppers. The more cases like this they have, the sooner they could tackle this monkey business.

Mentioned in this post
Buckinghamshire
Buckinghamshire
England, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,355 Reviews
from US$131.50*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from US$140.20*
US$155.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from US$118.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$350.20*
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

So, what were the names of the pub and club you were in?

I think that detail might be helpful to others who want to avoid following in your footsteps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

So, the drinks in the first club were spiked.... then although you didn't know the area you somehow ended up on your own in a club 20 miles away that you didn't know existed....which had CCTV of you - despite apparently being drugged - walking on your own into the second club.... where you spent 5 hours before leaving.....

It's a well written story, but rip-offs in strip clubs are common and well-publicised in the media and it sounds to me that you decided to stay on when your mates left by not getting into the taxi back to the hotel; that you were OK enough (i.e. not drugged) for your mate to leave you; and that you then....somehow.... made your way to the second club where you were ripped off.

I'm sympathetic, but just don't buy that a mysterious drug slipped into your drink in club A somehow led you to travel 20 miles to a club you didn;t know where you stayed all night

But posting it might just convince the person you need to convince....!

Edited: 19 January 2013, 08:48
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,865 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

I think we have a creative writing student in our midst. Reported as off topic/non travel related.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

I think we have someone who is in a lot of trouble with his wife and is trying very hard to get out of it.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

This story doesn't wash with me!

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

extra to wash them

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

Surely, regardless of the amount of cash removed from your bank account, most banks have a daily limit for withdrawals? I certainly wouldn't be able to withdraw £5k inside a few hours, especially in an "unusual" location, my bank would decline the requests.

Warwick, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

I think memory loss includes pin number ?!

9. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 January 2013, 20:05
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Strip club scam around London is very much alive and it gets

I think that the author may have been affected by the adulterated porkie pies he ate that evening! ;-)