We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

I will be taking the Eurostar from Paris back to London. I would like to take the last train possible which brings us to London between 10pm and 11pm . Will that give me enough time to get to Stanstead Abbotts before the trains stop running? I am unsure of the train station in Stanstead Abbotts, I think it's St Margarets Station. And if anyone can give me full tips on how to do this I would be forever grateful.

Also I am concerned about traveling this late at night. It will be two under 25 women and a 5 year old. (I know be observant, but it's different when you have a little one with you)

I am staying with family but they will be unreachable for the next 2 weeks and figured I'd get better responses here as they've never done the specific trip. Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

The last train from London Liverpool Street to St Margarets departs at 2340; should you travel at the weekend you may have to change once or twice en route and the journey will take longer than the 45 minutes it does on weekdays.

Unless you want to take the 205 bus from St Pancras to Liverpool Street you wil need to take a taxi from St Pancras. The bus journey is quite safe (one I make fairly often, including late in the evenings) but since time will be a factor, take a taxi.

nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/STP/plan.html The taxi rank is well marked at St Pancras; fare will be about £12 - 14. Off Peak fare to St Margarets for all three of you will be £18.45; you may buy on the day but you may wish to book in advance at www.greateranglia.co.uk and collect the tickets at Liverpool Street station.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

Take the Victoria Line from KIngs + to Seven Sisters and there are trains to St Margarets every 30 minutes or so with the last one at 23.53 (weekdays). Much quicker than gong out of the way to Liverpool Street.

There will still be plenty of people about on he Victoria Line that time of the evening.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

The only downside when taking the train from Seven Sisters is that it's a bit of a hike from the northbound Victoria line platform to the National Rail platform, with two flights of stairs up, an escalator and a longish walk on the flat; could be a pain if they have luggage in tow and a five year old.

And unless Lauren and friend have Oyster cards the cash single fare of £5.50 each will mean paying almost the same as taxi fare to Liverpool Street.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

Thank you everyone for the replies! As of now I'll be making this trip on a Wednesday and we won't have luggage. Looks like taxi is going to be the way to go. I really appreciate all you help!

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

Why not get the Circle Line direct from King's Cross St. Pancras to Liverpool Street? Cheaper than a taxi.

Destin, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

So would I need the victoria line to kings cross, and then circle line from kings cross to liverpool street then liverpool street to St Margarets? Seems like a lot of running to get there by 2340. Hypothetically if we got in at 2300 could it be done in time?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

St Pancras station is adjacent to KX. If you were to walk from Eurostar arrivals to the Victoria line ticket hall and barriers, you would walk past the ticket hall and platform entrance for the Circle / Metropolitan / Hammersmith & City lines.

The Circle line tends to be temperamental in terms of timekeeping, but since the Metropolitan and H&C lines share the same platform (and also have trains to Liverpool Street), the chance of a train to your destination passing through KX every five or six minutes is good, even late in the evening.

At Liverpool Street station it would be a matter of walking from the Circle / Met / H&C platform to the ticket hall (this takes two minutes at most), then up a dozen steps to the main railway concourse for your train to St Margarets. That train will probably depart from platform 1 or 2, almost directly across from the exit from the Underground.

Cash single fare for the journey from KX to Liverpool Street is £4.50 per person (I mentioned £5.50 above, my apologies for the typo); your five year old will travel for free. If you take the Underground you will need to ask a station agent to open a gate so all can pass through, as the little one will not have a ticket to put through the barrier.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

If you come out of the Eurostar arrivals area into the main floor of St. Pancras with the shops, turn left and walk to, and through, the archways at the end, then left again down the steps, it takes you directly to the ticket barriers for the Circle, H&C and Metropolitan Lines platforms. It's all signposted.

Edited: 19 January 2013, 21:28
9. Re: Eurostar station to Stanstead Abbotts Safty & How To?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 05:17