We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

At 2 AM I received a text from my daughter telling me that she was not able to get any cash from the ATMs at Gatwick. I quickly called the customer service dept. of TD Bank and was told there was no problem with her account, but that she was blocked for possible fraud because Gatwick is a "HIGH FRAUD" area. She had called the bank in advance of her trip to notify them she would be abroad so that she would not have such a problem. Has any other person encountered this problem at this airport?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,356 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

Hmm, Sounds most unusual there shouldn't be a problem, I have hardly ever had a problem with a cash machine, and when I have it's been easily solved.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

So its not an ATM problem at all, its her incompetent bank then?

Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

Apparently so!!! With all the travelers who pass thrrough Gatwick each day, I would think the banks would have a BIG problem if this really is a "high fraud" area. It made no sense to me - I am getting tired of banks claiming they are protecting the customer when in reality they are creating problems for them.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

That sounds like a problem with the bank, not the machine. If the bank blocks withdrawals from ATM machines in locations it regards as 'high fraud' (and I've never heard of such a thing happening before) it was irresponsible of it not to give your daughter a list of such locations.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

Went through Gatwick twice this year with no prob.

Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

Thanks to those who responded. TD Bank obviously did something wrong and will not admit it; these days "protecting you from fraud" has become a common excuse with this bank.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

My bank here in France once blocked my card due to a 'suspicious' purchase on itunes! I had being using the site for ages so lawd knows what system they have for detecting 'fraud'. I know they have to be careful but sometimes it's a bit silly.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

When I notify my bank of travel plans, the representative always says apologetically that they'll tag my account, but they can't promise. . .I felt like asking her if she was also using an abacus. . .another CC company once blocked my card at a local DIY store, then claimed it was a "high crime" area (absurdly untrue). I had my primary bank debit card blocked once at Heathrow but an angry email did the job--and fortunately I always take two debit cards. Hope the OP's daughter got it straightened out quickly.

9. Re: Anyone have problems using the ATM machines at Gatwick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 06:16