We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
506 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

We just returned from an amazing London adventure and have begun planning our next trip.... Paris!

Typically we begin by determining where we will stay and how we will get to that place.... cab, public transit, etc. In London we stayed in Covent Garden and took the Piccadilly line on the tube direct to CG station, carried our bags up the stairs and walked to our apartment. Easy and stress free.

In Paris, it looks like we'd need to take the RER from CDG then switch to Metro Line 1 (we plan to stay in the Marais) then walk to our apartment. However, after reading posts in the Paris forum, it seems that the Paris Metro is rife with pickpockets and bag snatchers.

We are seasoned-travelers, always aware and street-smart... but we'd like to know if Londoners visiting Paris have had problems?

In your experience, is the crime in Paris so much worse than London? I am asking here because I don't want to get the Paris posters riled-up unnecessarily. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

I had my wallet stolen in a Paris metro a couple of years ago, and I'm still annoyed about being so foolish - it hasn't prevented me from returning to Paris at least once a year because it's beautiful.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c7466/Paris:F…

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Ile_…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

scottmcdowell.me/2012/…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

Changing lines at Châtelet-Les Halles can be as much of a pain as changing at Bank, but otherwise the only downside is that the Metro has masses of stairs and not many escalators.

The plan de Metro has been redesigned and is easy to read (but I miss the old map), trains are frequent, the sound of the doors closing with a tinny snap! is satisfying, fares are decent, and it's overall a very good service.

I've not noticed petty (or not so much petty) thievery to a greater extent on the Metro or in Paris thani in London. As the RATP logo says, aimer la ville.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

Please post in the Paris forum.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
506 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

Thank you all for the feedback!

Joe: I needed to post in London to get a reasonable comparison between the Tube and Metro. The London experts have confirmed what I thought... Paris is more prone to thieves and pickpockets.

Thanks for sharing your amazing city... still going to Paris but cannot wait to be back in London! Stay Calm and CarryOn ;-)

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

Hi,

~~~~~~always aware and street-smart.~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just keep being aware and you will be perfectly ok.

Each and every big city has opportunists waiting to prey upon the unwary - in my experience - there are probably more scammers (gold ring, petitioners etc) in the streets of beautiful, fantastic Paris - than London - but if you don't display wealth, money jewellery etc - anywhere/any city - you will be least likely to attract unwanted attention.

Safe Travels !

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

Joe: I needed to post in London to get a reasonable comparison between the Tube and Metro. The London experts have confirmed what I thought... Paris is more prone to thieves and pickpockets.

------

Why didn't you post in the Paris forum, surely more people there have the ability to compare between the two and have more knowledge of Paris? And your question is about Paris, it's not about London, you want to know what things in Paris are like.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

Hm. No, I have *not* noticed more thievery in Paris than in London, whether on the Metro or walking along a street or boulevard.

Paris is a treat, I'm always happy to visit there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you please compare the Tube to Paris Metro?!

Do the Metro trains still have little door handles you have to lift before the doors will open ?