We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
170 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

My husband and I are planning a trip to London-Paris next fall. We were going to do 3 days in each city and take the Eurostar between the cities. We're looking for cheap vacation packages, does anyone have suggestions about the best websites or places to book the trip?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
780 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

I did a similar trip with friends in 2011. I didn't end up doing it as a package, but rather relied on recommended hotels I found in the forums here. For the airfare, I'd suggest going to your favorite travel sites (Expedia, Kayak, the TA flight search, etc.) and see which days work best for you. I'd also suggest checking if it's cheaper to fly into Paris or London first, as that made a price difference of several hundred dollars at the time I did it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

Book a multi city flight (use that option), into Paris out of London (or vice versa).

Book on an airlines website. Cheapest operators likely Aer Lingus or Icelandair but will have stopovers.

Book Eurostar yourself on the Eurostar website..

Book hotels yourslef on the hotels website or with a reliable operator like Expedia.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,778 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

Book Eurostar as soon as tickets are available for the cheapest fares. Usually 120 days but sometimes earlier on the US website.

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
170 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

I did check on which city was cheaper to begin the trip with and it looked like it was London. Seemed a few hundred dollars more to start out in Paris. So, you think it's cheaper to book the airfare and hotel separately? I will def. look at that then, thanks!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
780 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

I think you can find more options/judge your neighborhoods and budget better by booking separately.

That being said, I can't say that I've ever had much luck trying to book a package online with multiple cities.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

There's not much point booking a package as you're only putting an extra cost on your holiday and you are restricted to stay at the hotels that the package tour uses.

The same thing can be done by yourself in minutes.

All you need to do is have a look at a good guide book for London and Paris and decide what you want to see in the limited time you have. Then work out an area in each city where you would like to stay. Come on this forum and ask the following questions:-

Which hotel in London is good for my budget (in GB Pounds per night), repeat the question in the Paris forum and book a Eurostar ticket.

www.Eurostar.com and have a look at www.kayak.com or www.skyscanner.net for the best airfares

Simples!

Edited: 22 January 2013, 20:37
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

I'll chime in with agreement that you can likely get the best deal by booking hotel and airline separately yourself.

The exception might be if an airline has a sale where you can get a night or two for free in a hotel - British Airways had a deal like that a few years ago that was actually worth it, but it still only included a night or 2 in London, and of course you'd have to book the other nights yourself.

For airfares, also check out itasoftware.

ktown

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
170 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I always thought that you were saving money when you book a hotel-flight package, prob. because all the travel sites say that you do. So, I can look at any of the travel sites for the airfare, where are best places to book hotels? The same travel sites or on the hotel sites themselves? It seems like the hotels always say it's cheaper to book on the travel sites. That's a good idea of staying in the area where we want to do things, I usually try and do that when we're traveling somewhere. But with only 3 days in each city, it's especially true.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

Book directly with the hotel if at all possible. Sometime 3rd party sites do have better deals, but only deal with well known 3rd party sites. You can do a search on TA to find the most reputable ones if you are unsure.

ktown

Ann Arbor
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap vacation packages for London-Paris

My wife and I are planning a very similar trip in the Fall, but perhaps 4 nights in London and 3 in Paris. Did you find the best price - I have to say that in all of my searches, the package deals were less money (e.g. www.europeandestinaitons.com).