We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arundel vs Warrick

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Arundel vs Warrick

Arundel Castle has been suggested as an alternative to Warrick. What's your take on this and how do I get there? Staying in London near Paddington. I have a first timer with me and want to show her a good capsul of your country. London sites and a trip to Windsor are on the (not written) schedule but I want her to see some countryside.

Buckingham Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Eltham Palace and Gardens
Architectural Buildings, Castles, Scenic Walking Areas
Kensington Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Severndroog Castle
Castles, Points of Interest & Landmarks
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

Arundel is a small ruined castle connected to a small stately home and you are pretty much left to your own devices. Very diffent from Warwick which is very large and has lots of organised activities and shows. So I don't think they are very comparable.

Arundel is only open at some times of year, pretty sure Warwick is year round, check their websites, that may make your mind up for you, otherwise you'll have to choose if you want a more understated experience, or more of a 'Disney' one. Hopefully you'll know which the "first timer" will prefer.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

"Arundel is a small ruined castle connected to a small stately home"

Joe, Arundel Castle is huge, the castle has some very old parts and the remainder of the castle has been built over 100's of years only being completed in early 1900's. It is a lovely sight as you come into Arundel. I have always bought tickets with the guided tour option so you don't have to be 'left to your own devices'. Depending on when you visit they have special events including jousting and falconry. Arundel itself is a pretty little town to walk around and the castle is actually in town. It's an easy place to get to by train from London.

arundelcastle.org/_pages/03_visitor_info.htm

Warwick castle is owned by the same people that own Madame Tusssauds, the castle itself is a lovely building, however I felt that it was very disneyfied although my kids loved it. The town of Warwick is again a very pretty town to have a look around. Again there is a direct train to Warwick from London (Marylebone).

http://www.warwick-castle.com/

Personally I would choose Arundel, but take a look at both websites and see what you think.

Edited: 25 January 2013, 07:41
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

We are obviously working to different definitions of " huge" you can walk around Arundel's ruined part of the castle in 10 minutes (yes of course you could and should take longer I'm just commenting on the size). By castle I was referring to the ruined part and not the more modern more stately home place which isn't really what most would think of as a castle.

I've been to Arundel several times, never once seen any falconry or jousting events, I'm not saying they don't exist, but I suspect these are very few and far between and it would be misleading for the OP to rock up at random and expect to see that sort of thing.?... And the website seems to indicate jousting is over one week in July.

I would agree with most of what you wrote other than the "huge" designation :-) and the impression there are non stop events happening there. And for a mid week visit I think Arundel might also be more pleasant, much less crowded than Warwick.

Since I went to their website, here are the opening times for the OP.

Arundel Castle will be open from Friday 29 March to Sunday 3 November 2013

Open Tuesday to Sundays inclusive and August Mondays and Bank Holiday Mondays.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

OK Joe, we'll have to agree to disagree :-) , as far as I'm concerned the whole building is a castle and that is why I used the word huge.

The events programme is usually fuller than is currently listed and will probably be added to so the OP needs to keep an eye out if they do wish to attend an event while they're here.

I also stated that it would depend on when the OP visits as to whether there are events or not, I certainly don't think that gives the impression of there being non stop events.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
333 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

If it is for a first timer - Warwick is the one I would choose. It looks like the caslte that people imagine and yes, it is owned by the same people who own Tussaud but it is still a very genuine 'Castle' experience plus you have the town of Warwick to explore. The Beauchamp Chapel - just a few minutes on foot from the caslte - is well worth the visit. Also you have Stratford upon Avon just down the road. Not a bad combination.

Arundel is a favourite of mine but I'm not the person we should be thinking of here!

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

Thanks for the input. I have spent many happy hours at Warrick in the past..that being 10 and then 20 years ago when I lived there. The time I took my children was 10 years ago and I don't remember it being Disneylike at all. Did it change that much?

We will not be driving but arriving by train so seeing Stratford upon Avon might pose a problem though I too like it.

Warrick has dungeons which I think will be a plus for my friend. Not something you see ... EVER ... in Southern California. She is ready for the ful experience so I will have to study the websites some more.

Thanks again

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

Warwick Castle would be my choice for your friend. I wouldn't let the Madame Tussards connection put you off.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

I was toyally mysified by Joe's description of Arundel but then I remembered that there is a small Ruin outside the main gate of the castle, by the river. This is actually the remains of a medieval hospital or Maison Dieu. The castle itself was severely damaged during the Civil War and stayed that way for a couple of hundred years until the then Duke of Norfol rebuilt it. There are however quite substantial parts of the original structure, such as the keep.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

Thank you all. I have until May to research and research I will.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arundel vs Warrick

If it's just a castle that you want - dungeons, torture, murder and all that - you could do worse than Her Majesty's Palace and Fortress. The tour guides are great (and major on the bloodthirsty).

The Tower of London.