We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London transportation . .

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
London transportation . .

I've finally booked our hotel - chose a small one near Victoria Station. We'll be coming in the evening of June 29th on the train from Edinburgh - arriving at approx. 5:45pm. We'll be leaving mid-morning July 2nd. A few questions:

- Is the tube the best way to get from Kings Cross to Victoria station? We'll probably each have a mid-sized rolling suitcase & a shoulder bag, (just my husband and I). We're middle-aged, fairly active and don't mind walking or hauling luggage.

- We fly out of Gatwick. I have booked 2 tickets on the Southern Rail line from Victoria Station - Gatwick. (I hope that was the best option). How much in advance of our departure time would you advise us to board the train? Is there anything I should know about this transfer or is it pretty straight foward?

- We'll have 2 full days in London - trying to see the usual sites. What's the best tube and/or bus pass for us to buy?

A couple of sight-seeing questions:

- We really would like to take a flight on the "Eye". Should we book in advance? If not, any advice on getting tickets there?

- Should we buy any other sight-seeing tickets in advance? I would like to line as many things up ahead of time as I can since we have such a short stay.

Thanks so much . . I'm sure I'll have more questions as time draws near.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London transportation . .

The tube is the easiest way to get from King's X to Victoria, unless you want to take the bus - which will take a bit longer, and you'd have to change buses. It's just five stops on the Victoria line from King's Cross to Victoria. The rail and tube stations will be ++++ busy, though, so either be prepared to move with the crowds or step to the side and let the commuters zip past.

To get to LGW, it sounds as if you're not taking the GEX - will you have to change trains at Clapham Junction? If so, add in a few minutes to make the change, and allow for stopping en route, unless it's a direct trip. Pax are advised to be at London airports about two and a half or three hours before scheduled departure time; Southern say the trip should take about 38 minutes, so you'll need to add that to your timing.

One day off peak (travel after 0930 on weekdays) Travelcards cost £4.90, so you could buy one for each of your full days in London, plus a single £3 for the trip from King's Cross to Victoria. A three day Travelcard (for use any time, not just off peak) costs £15.40, but you could save a few pence by buying three one day cards. If you think you'll go out and about during the evening after you get in from EDI, then maybe a three day card is the way to go - no hassle about having to queue each day, and no time restrictions.

I'd book the Eye in advance, esp if you have a desire to go at a specific time. I think you can buy or book tickets to the Tower in advance, too, or should plan on getting there as early as poss to avoid queues.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London transportation . .

<<<To get to LGW, it sounds as if you're not taking the GEX - will you have to change trains at Clapham Junction? If so, add in a few minutes to make the change, and allow for stopping en route, unless it's a direct trip>>>

The Southern trains are direct, no changes necessary.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London transportation . .

You can go direct from Kings Cross Thames link to Gatwick. Trains every 15 minutes, jouney time 45 minutes. Single fare £10

KC Thames Link is in Pentonville Road, 3 minute walk from the Main Line station

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London transportation . .

73 bus direct from Kings Cross to Victoria station.

One of the new bendy buses, so no stairs & if you get on the middle section of the bus, there is room to stand with your luggage.

Allow about 45 minutes.

London
Level Contributor
775 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London transportation . .

The 73 from Kings Cross to Victoria is a bit torturous - it travels the length of Oxford Street and is very stop-start. I suppose at least doing that you'd get to see all the shops!

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London transportation . .

I have to confess I'm nonplussed that someone purporting to be a 'local expert' appears to be advising that one might need to change trains to get from Victoria to Gatwick. (Wrong) ...And that there's no direct bus between Victoria and Kings Cross. (Wrong again!)

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London transportation . .

Ahem...then I must be a figment of my own imagination when I board the 73 bus in the Victoria station forecourt & wind my way (torturously 'tis true) past Kings Cross station & then up the Pentonville Road.

Why I deluded myself only last night.

Perhaps I am 'virtual' & exist only on this forum ?

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London transportation . .

Sorry, Silly Me.....ON the forecourt.