We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

What and where would be the best place to purchase a cell phone, to use in the U.K. whilst I am there. One of the prepaid. top up kind

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,352 Reviews
from US$133.30*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,124 Reviews
from US$142.20*
US$158.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
510 Reviews
from US$120.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$355.00*
Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Thanks Paul I will do that

UK
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Firmly rec looking at recent Canucks traveller very expert contribution on similar subject Regmaiche

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

What does that mean?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,841 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Paul,

One of the "delights" of this forum are the occasional scribblings of dear Reg (aka Gerlis). Spot prizes are sometimes awarded for translations and Babelfish have been alerted.

On this occasion he is talking about someone who posted some sound advice on another thread...to which I think you have now seen. If you thought that was difficult then you haven't read anything yet!

UK
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Paul F Glasgow apologies for any exaggeration on my part

with copyright acknowlegement to original author CT Regmaiche

CanucksTravel...

London

reviews: 301. Re: SIM Prepaid Phone Card

03 March 2012, 9:25

You can, yes, all sim cards will work in pretty much all countries but you'll pay roaming charges as soon as you're outside the UK... I suspect your question is probably more like "is there a pan-European sim card with the same cheap rates in all countries" and the answer to that one is not really, they do exist but they're expensive. Around 25 pence per minute (for O2 My Europe) against the 35 p per minute roaming charge levied by O2.

If you intend to use your phone a lot, buy a separate sim card in each country to avoid roaming charges.

You can get sim cards at Heathrow (from vending machines) but again they're expensive because of the convenience. £10 at Heathrow, usually £1 in town. O2 were giving away free sim cards at Heathrow not long ago, they will probably still have some at information desks and at some shops. (Boots the Chemist had some last time I checked). finis]

I merely added carphone wharehouse phone for <£5

regmaiche

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Europe
Europe
World
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Thank you Adam.

And I thought it was incomprehensible drivel, but despite the use of incorrectly spelled and just incorrect words there is indeed some little grain of information.

London
Level Contributor
11,326 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

The phone will work virtually anywhere in the world, GSM is adopted almost everywhere. (Parts of the US and Japan being notable exceptions).

Using it outside the UK wil incur roaming charges, ask for the tariff sheet when you buy a phone. That will help you decide whether just to pay roaming (fine for a few short calls) or whether to buy an Irish SIM card.

UK
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Yes don't ditch the UK SIM as soon as you arrive in Ireland, use up any remaining credit. I take my UK PAYG phone to Italy with me (for resto booking etc) and despite being charged roaming rates, am always pleasantly surprised how little credit I use.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 20:54
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Thank you all, for your replies, it has helped me a great deal!

London, United...
Level Contributor
404 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Why buy a new phone? Mobile Phone providers in the USA (except Apple iPhones where I dont think you can change the SIM) are obligated to let you unlock your phone if you are travelling overseas. Call your service provider, ask for the unlock code, unlock your phone, and then when you arrive in the UK just buy the SIM card (Tesco is as good as anyone) and pop it in. When you get back to the US pull out your UK SIM card and pop your US one back in.