We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

What and where would be the best place to purchase a cell phone, to use in the U.K. whilst I am there. One of the prepaid. top up kind

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

UK mobile phone frequency is 900/1800 MHz, try and find out the frequency of your old phone.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

A quick stroll through Google suggests your older iPhone should work on a GSM network (i.e., England, Europe, and most of the rest of the world), but it might or might not give you 3G reception, which means your data speeds won't be the greatest, but your calls should be just fine. Wifi will be OK on ANY phone that has wifi.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Thanks for the replies. I think it will be fine as I really only want to use the old iPhone for phone calls, but would like to have some wifi connection just in case....Most of my Internet activities will be done on iPad or laptop using the wifi in hotels, cafes etc. Feeling more confident now so will bring the phone and try it out !

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

We have two unlocked iPhone 3s'. They work fine in England, pwaites. The best deal last summer was with Three. It looks like they still do compared to Vodaphone. I haven't checked any others but will prior to our upcoming trip.

Williamsburg VA
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

I'm curious....I have an old Iphone 3G.. Do I have to do anything to get it ready to pack and go to UK...like go to the network provider and ask how to unlock the Sim card? Buy wait...didn't they take my old sim card out of that phone when I purchased my old phone? Maybe I don't have a sim card in it? Also curious about phone numbers. If I succeed in popping in a UK sim card...does a phone number come with it? (Sorry for simple questions...this is all new to me - trying to figure it out.). Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

My understanding is that ( as long as your phone is not locked to a contract with a provider like At & t or Orange etc), you just take the old sim out and insert the new one. You usually need to activate the new sim, by phoning a number. It will come with a new phone number but I think you may request to take your number with you. But I would not bother to transfer my number if using for a holiday, unless there is a pressing reason for people at home to contact you. And even then I would just give the new number to those who may need it

Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

I don't own a mobile-well, I do own one that is basic and doesn't work indoors! Do I understand correctly that I go to Carphone Warehouse and ask for a PAYG phone, SIM card to go with that phone, and then have to put money on it-let's say 15 pounds? Not sure. How much, approximately, should I budget for such a purchase?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,814 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

I paid £25 for a phone (basic) and 2 SIM cards with £10 PAYG on them (I already had one phone) at Carphone Warehouse last July. I didn't get anywhere close to using up my £10 but out of curiosity I did try to top up online and couldn't.

Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Thanks-that gives me a decent idea of cost. I will be in London for a week, where I probably will be making the most calls, both in London and to Cornwall. Probably fewer calls in Cornwall for a couple weeks, so 10-15 should probably be all right. Unless costs have gone up a lot, the 25 pounds sounds like a good estimate, give or take. Did the basic phone include texting-I would assume so, but I try not to assume! I will have to learn texting! Luddite here!

Edited: 02 March 2013, 04:41
Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: purchasing a cell phone for use only within the u.k

Oh, I think you meant the phone was 25 separately? So that would be more like 35-40 total, I guess.