We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best London art museum for kids

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best London art museum for kids

We'll be visiting London with our kids, ages 10 and 7. We'd like to try to taking them to one of the National Gallery, Tate Britain or Tate Modern. Any recommendations on which might be best for kids?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best London art museum for kids

What interests them? Get them to look at the galleries' websites. The answer might be 'none of them' of course.

There is a wide variety of collections of stuff that they might prefer - scientific stuff, egyptian stuff, dinosaurs stuff....

Or if they really do want to look at pictures, is there a theme? Animals? Kings and Queens? Bright coloured designs?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best London art museum for kids

Tate Modern has kids packs that you can pick up and use in the galleries. National Gallery may have similar, but I've never seen people using them.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best London art museum for kids

Check on the websites on what is on offer to kids. One of the advantages of free entry to museums and galleries is that you can mak it quite a short visit if they get overtly bored.. It may also be a good idea to plan a visit so that it follows or is ahead of somethin that they positively want to do.

Bushey, England
Level Contributor
317 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best London art museum for kids

You could get them to agree to go to whatever art museum you really want to go to, no matter how boring they find it, as long as you promise to take them to the either the Dinosaur musem (aka the Natural History Museum) or the Space Rocket museum (aka the Science Museum).

Essex
Level Contributor
26,721 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best London art museum for kids

National Gallery used to have a "Teach your Adults about Art" trail for kids that I tested out with No.1 Niece some years ago. I wrote a review and we both enjoyed it, but 1hour was enough.

Wen I take the Nieces & Nephew on days out, we might pop into the NG or the National Portrait Gallery for half hour or so, they don't love it, but CAN appreciate it. After that amount of tome though, their eyes start to glaze over...

The 2 girls, when roughly the ages of your 2, enjoyed various arty activities at different museums. I took them to a special session at the Foundling Museum once, if you book in for these, attending Adults get in free. The museum has great works of art, but many other things to see, dressing up for the kids and is not too huge to overwhelm them.

The wallace collection as well as famous paintings, has a wide variety of things to enjoy, and is free. Ditto sir John Soanes Museum, which if you can go when it is getting dark, lights up with candles everywhere, and is enchanting!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best London art museum for kids

Is the Museum of Childhood a non-starter? It can be chockablock at half term and in summer but other times is fairly quiet. Just across the road from Bethnal Green Underground station it's part of the V&A, free of charge to enter and will appeal to adults as well as young ones as well.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best London art museum for kids

The Geffrye Museum (free entry) has stuff for children, though it is an interesting museum for all ages. It has a good cafe too, more reasonably priced than some of the bigger museums.

http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,042 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best London art museum for kids

My daughter liked the Wallace Collection. It's not exactly an art museum, but has art. When we went there was a temporary exhibit on armor and DD could try on chain mail. (It's quite heavy, I'm glad I don't have to wear it...) It's a pretty manageable size too.

http://www.wallacecollection.org/

The Courtauld Gallery is also smaller and more manageable that the others you have listed, but it's not free like the others (although the kids would be free) and apparently it's now only £3 on Mon.

www.courtauld.ac.uk/gallery/index.shtml

Of the others you listed, I didn't like the Tate Modern, but then I don't really like modern art. I guess the kids might like it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
403 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best London art museum for kids

Specific to your question, the Tate Modern (imo) is the better place for kids. If I may take the liberty to proffer other ideas too... my kids enjoy modern art, street & graffiti art - so places like Saatchi (high end modern art http://wp.me/s2r6no-saatchi ), Whitechapel Art Gallery (modern art http://www.whitechapelgallery.org ) , and even East End places like Village Underground and Trinity Buoy Wharf - where they are more art colony than art museum - really appeal to them. Alternatively a walk around the East End on a street art tour - see http://streetartlondon.co.uk/tours/ is a lot of fun and may be more interesting to your kids that a traditional art museum. After all they may be more likely to have heard of Banksy, Space Invader, and Shepard Fairey (OBEY) that Gainsborough and Turner.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best London art museum for kids

Most of the major art museums have kids' packs. Many also run family workshops. Check the websites of the museums you're thinking of visiting (there's usually a Learning, Education, and/or Families section) for dates and info.