We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoredith area

Wanaque, New Jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Shoredith area

We are thinking of renting an apartment for a four night stay. Is this a good location? We are a family of four.

Thank you

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoredith area

This was a fairly poor area until not so long ago and although still mixed, it now has many 'happening' clubs and bars along with its close neighbour Hoxton. The name of the street would be a help, as they vary a lot. If you are not into bars and clubbing into the small hours it might be best for you to consider somewhere more sedate and suited to families. This is one of the few parts of London with no parks in the immediate vicinity.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 01:25
Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoredith area

I agree, it is very urban. Okay for the young and hip but there are better areas for families.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoredith area

Are you still thinking of Westland Place? It's really more Hoxton than Shoreditch as it's near Old Street roundabout, with a great many estates and refurbished flats nearby. The estates are in sharp contrast to, say, one of the unattractive new builds near the roundabout with OTT flats for those with very deep pockets.

There is a small park just off Shepherdess Walk near City Road basin, but that may not be sufficient for your needs.

mrsmoldyhaggis
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoredith area

I am finding this post worrying! My husband,my 1year old and I have reservations for the Hoxton hotel in March. Have i made a huge mistake?

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,290 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoredith area

Have i made a huge mistake?

==================================

No. I doubt the 1 yr old will care where you stay! - the Hoxton is quite hip but a good hotel nonetheless. There are prettier areas and, IMO areas with better transport links, but much depends on what you are planning on doing once here.

Islington, England...
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoredith area

You'll be fine, that is actually a nice area where you are staying, just don't venture out in Hackney, just be street wise, dont look like you don't know where you're going, don't use mobile phones in public, just stay safe

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoredith area

The Hoxton Hotel is in Great Eastern Street which is in Shoreditch, not Hoxton. It's on the edge of the Financial District and is perfectly safe, although evenings can be a bit noisy with all the clubs and bars nearby.

The OP is asking about Westfield Place which is certainly not Shoreditch, it's in the middle of some rough social housing in Hoxton

Although the whole area is becoming more desirable, there are still bits of Hoxton to avoid. Not so Shoreditch

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shoredith area

I feel guilty now, mrsmoldyhaggis. There is no reason why anyone who has booked in the Hoxton Hotel should cancel, and frankly I think Jacquie's advice is a little over-dramatic. Nearly all the cool types I see on the way to and from the bars and clubs have a mobile phone glued to their ear! The fact that it's now such a lively area at night could actually be a bonus when it comes to safety. It is just not as leafy as some other parts of London, but presumably you'll be travelling to the touristy parts during the day anyway, so if you want parks you'll find Hyde Park, St James's Park et al there.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shoredith area

The OP didn't mention anything about a park.

i agree with the comments made by Iggyfitz, The Hoxton is a nice hotel. I've had lunch and dinner there a few times and it certainly has a good atmosphere. Closeby is Spitalfields, with the market and plenty of bars and cafes, Brick Lane, historical pubs, easy transport links etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shoredith area

Don't venture out in Hackney and don't use mobile phones in public? Both of those caveats are quite over-dramatic and OTT. Not sure what Jacquie's agenda is but it certainly includes plenty of hyperbole.