We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Shard opens today

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Shard opens today

£90 for a family of four.

I think I will wait until there is more chance of a clear day and see if the Channel is in sight.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,460 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Shard opens today

I was in the neighbourhood yesterday and although parts of the area look like a building site (that is because it IS a building site) access is no problem either via St Thomas's Street on London Bridge station, Signage isn't great though so just look for the tall building!

You enter the building and immediately head up some stairs to the ticket office and main entrance (there is a small lift for the less able) where you will then go through airport type security so please no sharp objects. I can see that being a bottleneck. There is also a shop on this level.

Then two lifts will take you to the viewing area in a couple of minutes. There are no restrictions on the length of your stay once you are up there but, judging from their research and my experience of tall buildings, an hour will be plenty especially as there are no toilet facilities or retail outlets up there.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Shard opens today

I think the price will put a few people off especially if it's a family, I was planning on going up on my last visit but I think I'll wait untl it's no longer a building site.

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Shard opens today

Is it just me who seems to have outgrown the fascination of observation towers?

Having been up so many in so many cities, they all just start blending into one. From several hundred feet up you see the rooftops of many office blocks around you, with tiny cars and ant-like people moving around the network of streets. Five minutes later and with nothing else to do, I'm thinking I could have just watched all that on Youtube.

£90 for a family of four? Er.. no thanks. Bah humbug.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Shard opens today

I think the price will put a few people off especially if it's a family,

======

No doubt some people would be put off if it was a £1 for a whole family, does it matter?

Surely what the owners want is to maximise income so if (say) 80% capacity at £25 makes more money than 100% at £15, why sell at £15, so the fact that some people are put off is immaterial.

IMO its not much different to The Eye which is probably the closest comparison attraction, and unlike that its unlimited stay, high 100% of the time and much higher overall (a selling point though I'm not sure higher is actually better for views but many may think it is).

5. Re: The Shard opens today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2014, 06:16