We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Globe theater and where to sit

Boston...
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Globe theater and where to sit

Hi - I'm visiting London for the first time in 12 years with my 19 year old. She really wants to see Titus Andronicus at the Globe Theater this Saturday night. (Not my first choice of Shakespeare plays, but whatever). The question I have is that I have heard that part of the theater is outside and that the shows go on rain or shine. Has anyone actually seen a production there, is this true, and what would you recommend? Also, what's the surrounding neighborhood like as we'll be leaving late I suspect and need to take the tube back to the hotel. Thanks!

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

Seating is generally under cover, the bit that is open to the elements, is standing room only. The surrounding area is fine, and there will be plenty of others leaving at the same time, so there should be no need to worry.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

I highly recommend renting the seat cushion for £1. :o)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

The nearest tube is Southwark which is on the Jubilee Line.

Depending on where you are heading you might do better to catch a bus or to walk along the river (especially if it's a fine evening) to Waterloo or possibly even Embankment via the Hungerford Jubilee footbridge.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

Lean against the stage - be part of the production - buy the "I was a Groundling" T-shirt.

This is the only theatre in the country you can stand up in - enjoy the privilege.

(And if Titus is a bit dull for you - you can wander off without disturbing anyone. Try doing that in the posh seats.

There is no complete roof so if it rains, it rains. And if a police helicopter wants to to track a villain, the actors will get drowned out. Its all so authentic.....

The surrounding area is riverside - mixture of penthouses, ordinary houses, wine bars, cultural HQ. Walking would be delightful -- look across at St APuls and the Savoy...Big Ben....the Eye.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

Except that back in the day, Shakespeare didn't need to worry about air traffic drowning out his plays. :o)

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

peterscot

Many theatres in the West End offer standing tickets. The difference with these is that you stand at the back, with the Globe you stand at the front.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
340 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

I just happened across a description of Shakespeare's Globe today. I'd never even heard of it before but I absolutely must see it now that I know it exists. I'm making my first trip to England next month and have a Wednesday afternoon (the day of my arrival) and a Sunday evening free.

Which would be more fun, Coriolanus in a 2.00pm matinee or Antony & Cleopatra in a 6.30pm Sunday evening? I'm not real familiar with either play but somehow an early-evening show in late June just seems like a fantastic idea.

Then again, I have a whole day to kill after my plane arrives at 8.30am and after 13+ hours in car, airplane, airplane and airport seats maybe a couple hours standing in the fresh air as a Groundling would be just the ticket! I think Coriolanus has some fighting and stuff, not sure about Antony & Cleopatra.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

It's very appropriate that American visitors to London have a look at Shakespeare's Globe, because it was an American's idea and project that got it built in the first place. Sam Wanamaker was the person to whom we owe a great debt. Without him-no Globe! At only £5 for standing in the yard, just as ordinary people would have done in William Shakespeare's time, it is a bargain. There is an extraordinary rapport between audience and actors-again just as in Elizabethan times. Walking along the river at this point is very worthwhile, with fine views across to St Pauls and the Tate Modern gallery just along the road.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
340 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

loddington,

Is the walk from London Bridge to the Globe a significant part of the scenic walk you're talking about? Or do you really need to go toward Waterloo (upriver?) from the Globe to see the interesting stuff?

I'm thinking of putting my stuff in Left Luggage at Gatwick and taking the train to London Bridge. I could walk around and eat a bite somewhere before the matinee and then train back to Gatwick afterward to collect my luggage and rental car.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Globe theater and where to sit

The Globe is about halfway along the south bank walk, starting from Westminster and finishing at London Bridge