We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

wirral
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

I am not too keen on the tube and we are staying near Stansted. We are hoping to get tickets to see Wicked and we want to drive into the city, preferably after 18:00 to avoid congestion charge! Can someone please tell me what the traffic will be like, if it is possible to avoid congestion zone, is there parking and restaurants near the theatre? Thanks all

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

Hhhmm, I'd have to be pretty unkeen on the tube to drive in! You will be travelling from the East, and Wicked is playing at Victoria, on the Western side on the centre of London.

I can't comment on traffic from Stansted to the centre of London, but I would expect it to be pretty heavy when you hit the centre.

On the AA website you can plan routes (under route options) that avoid the congestion charge:

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

I'd allow a couple of hours minimum to get in.

There is a car park at Victoria station (on Eccleston Bridge Road

London, SW1W 9SJ) and a range of chain restaurants upstairs in the station or at nearby Cardinal Place.

Enjoy the show!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,954 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

No charge after six. Lots of single yellow around Eccleston Square.

Not the culinary capital of the town though.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

What time is the show ?

As the traffic could be unpredictable around there due the the works at the end of Victoria Street, I would be aiming to arrive before 6..

How much do you want to avoid the tube. I would park outside the zone and tube/bus in the last couple of miles.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

I would expect traffic to be pretty ghastly in central London at that time on a weekday - do you really hate the tube so much that you want to subject yourself to London traffic and potentially missing dinner/being late for the show because you're stuck in a traffic jam or can't find a parking space?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

The number 11 bus will take you from Liverpool Street station to Victoria in around 30 mins if you want to drive to a station on the Liverpool Street line and catch the train into London. Depends on day and engineering works (if any) though.

wirral
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

Ok so that doesnt sound such a good idea! Can anyone please tell me the closest I could get to Victoria before I can get the tube? I get travel sick, that is why the tube can be a problem. I could probably manage 15mins max. Thanks all

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

Does your travel sickness also apply to overland trains, or is it specifically the tube? If it's only the tube you're concerned about, you could follow ElmersEnd's suggestion above of getting an overland train into Liverpool Street and then a bus to Victoria, which would allow you to completely avoid the tube.

London
Level Contributor
10,420 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

See post 5

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

Liverpool Street to Victoria:

The No 11 bus - according to the TfL journey planner - is nearer an hour than 30 minutes. A taxi would be quicker

The tube (Circle line, large trains, not deep underground) takes 19 minutes.

The Central/Victoria lines route is about the same time but involves deep level tubes with smaller trains

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Apollo Victoria at 18:00?

After decades of travelling in the Tube I have yet to see anyone being travel sick in the Tube. In planes, cars, buses and boats travel sickness is very common because the ear's balance mechanism can be upset by the "movement" of the horizon which causes the nausea which ultimately causes sickness. However in a smooth running tube or train there is no "movement" of the horizon to cause nausea. Have you ever travelled on the tube and been travel sick? If not, travel by train and tube and have a much easier journey.