We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh, Paris, London in 9 days

Martinsburg, West...
1 post
Save Topic
Edinburgh, Paris, London in 9 days

Hello, all,

I'm new to this forum. My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe for either June, Septermber, or October.

My mother-in-law gave us the money to take this trip as a 20th anniversary present. Her intention was for us to go Scotland, where my husband's family is from, but we both really want to see London and Stonehenge, and my husband wants to see the Eiffel Tower and the Mona Lisa.

I'm looking at a 9 day trip. Day 1 and 9 would be travel to and from Europe then we would have 2 days in Edinburgh, 3 days in London with one of those for Stonehenge, and 2 days in Paris. I figure if we're going to Paris we need to see the City of Light at night.

This will be our first trip to Europe and I'm reading everything I can find on traveling there. I realize that this is probably a lot to put into one trip but we are going to be cherry pick what we do carefully.

I am looking at booking with European Destinations. Does anyone have any feedback on this company. I'm carefully researching the hotels that I choose so we can be close to the things we want to see and we are planning to pack with just a carry on for each of us. No waiting around at luggage carousels. I think both of these stragegies will maximize the time we have to see the things we want to see.

We have $8000 put aside and depending on when we go, we'll have another $500 to $1000. We are looking at a booking that runs just over $6000.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh, Paris, London in 9 days

What is your question?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh, Paris, London in 9 days

You haven't really got a full 7 days though have you taking into account travelling time for getting from place to place.

I would at most visit two Cities but even then it is pushing it.

Your budget in dollars means nothing on this forum because as you must know our currency is Sterling.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh, Paris, London in 9 days

I would have no hesitation in using European destinations for your trip. I second the notion of 2 cities at most. I would suspect September would be a nice time to visit as will June though more expensive. Your budget would seem to be adequate. To be honest a DYI vacation is not at all difficult. Assuming you decide on 2 cities you can plan on flying into London and flying out of either Paris or Edinburgh. Check out the website for European Vacations and make a tentative booking to see what it would cost. You are able to fine tune the hotels as per your wishes. Maybe visit London and Edinburgh this time?

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh, Paris, London in 9 days

I wouldn't spend a day going to Stonehenge. It's not nearly as exciting as some people seem to think. It was all rearranged in the 19 th century too.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh, Paris, London in 9 days

You don't have as much time as you might thing.

Days 1 and 9 you have allowed for.

1 day to travel from Edinburgh to London leaves a day and a half (at best) in Edinburgh

Minimum of another half day to get to Paris and the time slips away all too easily.

Not to say it can't be done but it will be a rush and no more than fleeting visits, but if this is your only chance then go for it.

6. Re: Edinburgh, Paris, London in 9 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2014, 06:16