We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster card and travelcards

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oyster card and travelcards

Hello!

We are going to be for 3 days in London.

I have read that OYSTER CARD is the fastest and cheapest way for travelling in London. And I read there is a VISITOR OYSTER CARD. But I also read it is not sold in London.

Online it is sent to some countries, but not mine -Uruguay, and even so the shipping cost wouldn´t do it worth valuable.

I found that the PAY AS YOU GO system seemed to be the best.

So I ask you which card we should get and which is the procedure to get it. Which benefits do they have, besides transport?

I am thanking you in advance. Regards

London
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

The visitor Oyster card has limited functionality, don't attempt to buy it. The normal Oyster card can be purchased very easily on arrival. There is no price advantage in buying in advance, so wait until you get here.

You said 'we', so I suggest you use search and read the threads on two-for-offers. If you intend to use these offers, you'll need paper travelcards, purchased from a national rail station. Again, buy these when you get here.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c133479/Lon…

Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

If the visitor Oyster Card sold through the website linked to my most recent forum post about this has limited functionality-in what way is it limited? Seems that you can buy one that covers tubes and buses for whatever amount of cash you want. I am curious as to how it is limited, in case I decide to buy online instead of at the tube stop near my hotel when I get there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

An online purchase of a Visitor Oyster card involves a postage fee and the card itself has a non-refundable deposit.

It's easy and fast to buy on arrival. Yes, you do pay a deposit but it and any unused pay as you go credit will be refunded to you if you choose to surrender the card.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

If you wait until you get here you save the card fee (£3) and the postage (£4.25).

Also, if you use a credit card to obtain the Oyster card in London, if you hand it back to a tube station at the end of your stay you can get an instant refund of the deposit and any unused pay-as-you-go credit, straight back to the same card.

But it's your choice. If you want to pay more for any advantage you may perceive in having the card before you arrive, don't let us stop you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

Thank you-that clears things up. I suspect I will wait and get it when I'm there, as the tube is close. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

I thank you very much. These answers make very clear about the situation with Oyster card.

We´ll get it when we got there. I´ll look a little more in the case we´ll buy 2 of them.

What about simple TRAVELCARDS? i believe that tickets costs are the same than Oyster´s, but I think this last one is more flexible, specially in the mode you debit from a credit card. You spend what you need and the new you gave us that it is refundable the initial fee makes it no cost.

Thank you very much again.

Regards. Florencia

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

You dont buy travel cards for oysters, however it will not charge you more than a travelcard. I think the travel card purchase without oyster is about £8 for all day zone 1-2, once your oyster reaches £7.70 (these amounts not exact cos cant remember) in zone 1-2 in a day, all future zone 1-2 in same day will cost no more on oyster card. I think oyster "travelcard" will save you about 30-50 pence.

However oyster give flexability.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,712 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

What about simple TRAVELCARDS? i believe that tickets costs are the same than Oyster´s, but I think this last one is more flexible, specially in the mode you debit from a credit card. You spend what you need and the new you gave us that it is refundable the initial fee makes it no cost.

========================================================

Oyster is a smart card which can be loaded with credit, (Pay as you go, or PAYG) OR travelcards OR both. You can get unused PAYG credited along with the £5 deposit for the card. If you are here 4-5 days or longer it is usually better to get a travelcard which is valid anytime for unlimited travel in the zones you pay for - 1+2 covers most of what a tourist needs. Nothing on Oyster is valid for the 241 promotion where two people get in for the price of one at many sites. If you want these you must get a paper travelcard (same price, same transport) from a national rail station such as Victoria, Kings Cross and many other.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 20:03
Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oyster card and travelcards

Park and Walk, thought I was clear on Oyster cards with Travelcard and PAYG cash loaded on until your last statement that Travelcards are the way to go if one is staying longer than 3-4 days. Now I'm confused all over again. Will be in London for a week, then coming back from Cornwall for 2 nights before leaving for home. I have no need for 241.