We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to get adapters and converters?

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to get adapters and converters?

I'm going on a trip next month to London, Paris, and Barcelona, and I'm going to be taking my iPhone, and a camera with a rechargeable battery, and I've already gotten some USA to European plug adapters, so do I need to get a voltage converter to plug into the adapter or do they both do the same thing or does the little box on the charger convert it if it needs to or what exactly?

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

The iPhone should be dual voltage and probably the camera battery charger if it is fairly new. Check the chargers to see if they have a 110-240V marking on them. If they do then all you need is the plug adapter. If if says 110 only, then leave it at home.

B

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

You will also need UK plug adapters. They aren't the same as European ones...

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

UK adapter

http://tinyurl.com/b5w9oec

Edited: 09 February 2013, 03:26
Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

Oh! That's good to know! It woulda sucked to show up in London and not have any adapters! Thanks! Do France and Spain use the same type of plugs?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,545 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

No. The outlets used in the UK are different from those used in mainland Europe. Just go to Radio Shack or the travel section of a big store and buy the required adaptors. They are clearly labelled to show where they can be used.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

AFAIK, the outlets in France and Spain are the same but not like those in the UK. I've used this type in France and Germany, but I've never been to Spain.

http://tinyurl.com/b8rqoxb

Just FYI, you don't list anything with a 3 prong plug that you're bringing, but I realized in the Chicago airport that all my adaptors could only be used with 2 prong plugs, so if you're taking a 3 prong one, make sure you get one that will work. I got mine from Brookstone in the airport and it's worked in the UK, France, and Germany (you change it around for different outlet types). It even worked to charge my cell phone I bought in the UK when I got home to the US.

http://tinyurl.com/a822bdt

I haven't had much luck with using the USB ports though for some reason. Things don't seem to charge well with them, so I just plug them in (ipod, kindle).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

A multi country adapter as in btgm's second link may be the business: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/183-1340105-2696918?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+adapter

The basic models are just that: basic. There are adapters that come with surge protectors; worth the extra spend. There may never be a power surge when you charge your goods, but unfortunate events do happen.

If you buy at a local shop then slide the shutters up and down to ensure they don't stick in one position, otherwise you'll end up with a multi country adapter that may be good for one part of the world only.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,545 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

A damaging power surge is an extremely unlikely event: it would occur only if the power line was struck by lightning. Modern "switch mode" power supplies can cope with any likely increase in voltage. Or decrease, for that matter.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

The basic models are just that: basic. There are adapters that come with surge protectors; worth the extra spend. There may never be a power surge when you charge your goods, but unfortunate events do happen.

-------

I disagree, unless the OP also uses surge adapters all over his house and when travelling in his home country, I don't see see how you could justify the cost just when travelling.

Odds of something happening are exceptionally low (never happened to me in many years of travel) and the chargers themselves include, in effects surge protection for the devices themselves via batteries or fuses. If he thinks it's an issue he should equip his house first which is no doubt where these things are charged 99% of the time.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 07:52
10. Re: Do I need to get adapters and converters?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 05:16