We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest train to Hampton Court

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
647 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest train to Hampton Court

To go to Hampton Court from Waterloo station, Soutwest train offers a very quick ride. I'm still a bit confused. For various reasons, I did purchase the all zone travel pass. Hampton Court is in zone 6. Is it true then that I don't need to purchase a ticket from Soutwest, even though it is not the regular tube train? Has anyone out there just showed the pass and that was that? Thanks, Anita

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest train to Hampton Court

Yes, that is all you have to do. London transport tickets, cards, passes, whatever are good on trains within the six zones that LT covers.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
647 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest train to Hampton Court

OK then. Thanks for the reply. Anita

London
Level Contributor
563 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest train to Hampton Court

I think there's been some confusion here. You CAN'T currently use a regular Tube ticket or even Oystercard prepay on South West Trains. You'd need to buy a rail ticket at Waterloo.

However, if you have an Oystercard with a Travelcard, ie. daily, 3-day or weekly travel pass, loaded onto it - valid, in this case, for zones 1 to 6 - you CAN use it on South West Trains.

By the way, don't forget to check http://www.2for1entry.co.uk for your reduced price admission to Hampton Court for rail travellers.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
647 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest train to Hampton Court

rentacourt- I'm now confused again. I purchased a weekly all zone travel pass. Is it good or not for the ride to Hampton court?

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest train to Hampton Court

Hampton Court station is in Zone 6 so your travelcard (assuming you have zones 1-6, which I imagine you do from what you've said) will be valid on the overground train.

this map shows the different zones and just how far your travelcard will take you, should you so wish!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/lon_con.pdf

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest train to Hampton Court

TRAVELCARDS are valid on overground trains within the zones on the ticket. Standard tube tickets are not.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,327 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest train to Hampton Court

Daily, weekly and annual Travelcards are valid on overground trains within the relevant zones. Adult Oystercards are good for some overground routes but not others, for instance, Ealing to Paddington but not Richmond to Waterloo. Child Oystercards have their own whole set of different rules. I understand Freedom Passes for over 60s are different again. I live in Richmond and when we travel round London together each member of my family has a ticket with different restrictions.

The whole thing is a ghastly mess. All it needs to sort it out is a bit of political will and to program all the machines to recognise all the cards. The government recently announced it would be rationalised this would be in place by 2008, but I won't comment on that.

8. Re: Southwest train to Hampton Court

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 01:19