We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Airport

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Airport

I hope someone here can answer my question and hopefully ease my worries. I'm flying back home from Dublin to Dallas, TX by way of London Heathrow. I will be flying in from Dublin on Aer Lingus landing (presumably) in Terminal 1 at 1:25PM. My flight from London to Dallas is (presumably) leaving from Terminal 3 at 3:00PM on American Airlines. The layover is a VERY short 1 hour and 35 minutes. From what I'm reading on Heathrow's site, I need to allow 75 minutes transfer time between terminals. I'm a VERY neurotic person when it comes to time so I am freaking out slightly (ok....A LOT) about how close this will be. Is this a doable connection? Also, I cannot tell for certain, I see I will have to reclear security, but will I need to do customs?

ANY help and possible neurosis easing would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Airport

Your flight at 1500 is operated by AA (rather than a codeshare with BA) and will depart from T3.

Despite those terminal buildings being near(ish) each other you will need to to to T1 Flight Connections for a bus journey to T3. There will be a security check and from there you will go straight through to Departures. There will be no immigration check at Flight Connections (AA and G4S staff will check passports at the boarding gate) nor will you go through Customs. EI should check your bag through from DUB to DFW.

If all goes well on the day you should be able to make the flight to DFW, but if the flight from DUB is late departing or delayed in getting on stand at LHR you will lose minutes you do not have.

If you have a through ticket, DUB-LHR-DFW, and the flight from Dublin is delayed, then AA should work with you to find a seat on the next available flight. If you have separate tickets and do not get to the gate on time for the flight to Dallas then AA's advice will probably be that you should buy another ticket.

Can you fly from DUB to LHR any earlier in the day?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Airport

Thank you for your response! When the flight was originally booked, the layover was 2 hours, plenty of time; however, American decided to change the time and I was not aware. I happened to call on my ticket on another issue, and because I didn't "acknowledge" the change at that point (bc I didn't know), I was by default, ok'ing the time change. So now, to change my ticket for myself and my fiance will be at least $500USD. I mentioned to the representative my concerns and her response was "I don't know what you are so worried about. You still have a long time until you travel. Anything can happen". So helpful. SO in answer to your question, no I can't change my flights at this point. :-('

I might add, my tickets were booked through American, Aer Lingus was just the flight we found that made the fare cheapest...mistake (no offense to EL) for going with the cheapest.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 02:09
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Airport

You're welcome.

Interesting response by the AA phone agent; I suspect she hasn't flown to or from Heathrow. It does sound as if you have through tickets so that's one plus to the adventure.

AA have booked it and allowed the connection time, so if the worst does happen you'll have to hope for availability on one of the two indirect flights to DFW (they have a change of plane in ORD). If there are no seats on those flights then you'l have to work with AA for flights the next day.

There is an EU regulation that mandates the duty of care that the airline must provide; let's hope you don't have to call upon it but rather that things go well on the day.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Airport

One would think that AA would be the one to reconcile the flight; however, they said that if my connection is missed due to my original flight being delayed, that the responsibility would fall on AerLingus to correct the issue, as it was their leg of the flight that caused the problem. SOOO helpful!

Where can I get info on this "duty of care" regulation?

Yes, we do have through tickets, so in that regard, we are fine, but again, i's an AWFULLY close layover to be navigating a big airport I've never been to before. Aye.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Airport

Check your PMs.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Airport

Great! I saw it! Thank you so much!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Airport

Just being curious but what happens if you miss the flight because of the airlines fault. Do they put you on the next flight?

If you really are 'neurotic' - I prefer the word "thorough" - and the worry and stress will spoil your vacation then perhaps you should pay £50 each for an earlier Aer Lingus or British Airways flight into Heathrow. Do not fly into any other London airport.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 02:54
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Airport

According to American, if we miss due to Aer Lingus fault, Aer Lingus must correct it. Otherwise, I assume, we are standby until American can get us home.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Airport

Whoo. I do hope that you have no problems. When are you flying? I think people are very rude to tell you not to worry because the flight is so far in advcance. Of course you worry, you like many of us like to have all the dots connected.

I too have a close connection in April unfortunately for the start of My trip. I will have been through Heathrow twice before I have to negotiate this time, ( we are coming over in two weeks for a shorter trip then flying home and then over again in late April) but my through ticket, all with BA goes Sydney Singapore London term 3 ( these are all on the same fl number ). Arrival 5:30am then to Terminal 5. new flight to Rome leaves at 7:05am. As I knew I did not have to clear customs I was thinking this was enough time.

we will have our bags as we are taking rolling carry ons and so will not have probs with luggage not making the change, but how hard is it to get from Term 3 to term 5? I hear 5 is a bit away from the others. I know you can use Heathrow Ex for no payment? is that the best option? It goes every 15 mins.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Airport

Whoo. I do hope that you have no problems. When are you flying? I think people are very rude to tell you not to worry because the flight is so far in advcance. Of course you worry, you like many of us like to have all the dots connected.

I too have a close connection in April unfortunately for the start of My trip. I will have been through Heathrow twice before I have to negotiate this time, ( we are coming over in two weeks for a shorter trip then flying home and then over again in late April) but my through ticket, all with BA goes Sydney Singapore London term 3 ( these are all on the same fl number ). Arrival 5:30am then to Terminal 5. new flight to Rome leaves at 7:05am. As I knew I did not have to clear customs I was thinking this was enough time.

we will have our bags as we are taking rolling carry ons and so will not have probs with luggage not making the change, but how hard is it to get from Term 3 to term 5? I hear 5 is a bit away from the others. I know you can use Heathrow Ex for no payment? is that the best option? It goes every 15 mins.