We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton court and Highclare

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hampton court and Highclare

I would like to see Hampton Court Palace, Windsor and Highclere in 2 full days. Is there an easier way to do this? Is it easier to get from Windsor to Highclere? Or is it easier to get from Hampton Court Palace to Highclere? Or should I start at Highclere? Is it even possible?

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton court and Highclare

I dont know the answer, but they do seem to be distances apart. I am guessing that the only way would be to see Windsor and Hampton Court on one day and Highclere on the other.

When are you going? There is only limited times that HighClere is open. I know this because I have been researching it for my friend who is going just after Easter. When I am in England in May and June, I dont think it is even open.

check out the website to make sure.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton court and Highclare

Physically possible if you have a car to do two of these places in one day. However, probably hardly worth it.

As noted above Highclere (note spelling) has very limited opening times and tickets sell out. So first you need to find out if it is open when you are here and if you can get tickets.

You could in theory do any of these two places on the same day. But it would be long and rushed. Plus additional cost of car hire and parking. Also, it is extremely expensive to get into these places. I would not pay over £ 20 for a couple of hours. Stay longer to get your moneys worth.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,401 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton court and Highclare

It is not advisable to even combine Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace on the same day. Highclere is much further out--about 50 miles away from Windsor Castle, so an hour's drive.

Windsor Castle opens at 9:45, and generally takes 2 1/2-3 hours to see. Hampton Court Palace is 45 minutes from Windsor (if you had a car) or by train, about an hour and a half, as you practically need to train back to London and then out again.

At Hampton Court you could spend most of a day--there are several distinct parts of the Palace, and the beautiful grounds. iI have been many times and have never left in under 4 hours. Until March 13, Hampton Court's last entry is at 3:30, so you would be clock watching at both locations, and cheating yourself of the really wonderful experience available at both places.

Check the Highclere Castle website for times and tickets. To try and combine it with Windsor, you would either need to be at Highclere for a morning entry (10:30-1:00) and then drive to Windsor, which has a last entry of 4:00, or start at WIndsor, rush through, and try to make the afternoon admission (1:00-3:30) I am not sure this will give you time to wander the grounds at Highclere, or have lunch, or spend more than a couple of hours at Windsor.

You may just want to stick with two places over two days--it is what I would do.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton court and Highclare

Thank you everyone for your post. Unfortunately, I have checked with Highclere and they are sold out for the time that I will be in England. I will take the train and do Windsor in one day and Hampton Court another day.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,401 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton court and Highclare

I think that is probably for the best. You will enjoy both places so much more without having to be "on a schedule."

Visiting Windsor Castle:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Getting there by train:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157699/Winds…

And now that you have (phew!) more time, you can think about doing other things in Windsor--taking a walk on the Long Walk in Windsor Great park, and/or crossing the pedestrian bridge over the River Thames to visit Eton.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c167859/Winds…

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton court and Highclare

Thanks to the massive obsession in the US with Downton Abbey, I suspect tickets will be sold out for quite some time.......

Still, the Carnarvon's must be raking it in and it's saved Highclere from demolition.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampton court and Highclare

Um the massive obsession in US is equalled by the same obsession in Australia. I know so many people have already seen season 3 via DVD got from overseas and it hasnt even hit our screens yet.

but I must say, I thank the US, because without it, season 2 would have been the last. It is only Jane Fonda(?) who wanted it to continue and paid to support it oh and star as the Duchess's US mother who saved it for the third season I was told.

8. Re: Hampton court and Highclare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 05:16