We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one works for us....very confused

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
183 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Which one works for us....very confused

Hi All,

Hubby and I are going to be in London first week of March for 10 days. We will be staying with my aunt in Harrow who has suggested the we buy the 7 day travelcard for us. I am assuming it's the one below:

…tfl.gov.uk/travelcards/7-day/product/7-day-…

Since we are staying in Zone 5 and will be commuting from there, I can see the Adult fare for zone 1 - 6 is £55.60. Not sure if we need to take it till Zone 6 but will leave that for now. We have a few day trips in between, our trip basically starts from 2nd March, so we are in London that day, day trip to Stratford-upon-Avon the next day, 3 days in London, day trip to Canterbury, 2 days London, day trip Bath and then London again, departure flight in the night.

As per what I read, the travel card is for consecutive days, so does it makes sense for me to get this card? Day trips have been planned as per weather conditions at the moment (we aren't coming at the best of time there). We also wanted to take advantage of the 2 for 1 offers (Hampton Court Palace, Kensington Palace, London Dungeon, Madame Tussauds etc) so now am stuck between trying to figure out which makes more sense, travel card or oyster??

We will be checking out the usual sights for all first timers to London and we tend to walk a lot so not sure how much we would use buses and tube except for the commute to and fro from Harrow. Any advice to help us choose between Oyster and Travel cards would be most appreciated. Thank you.

KY

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

There is a seven day z1-5 card for £51.80. However as Hampton Court is in z6 I'd stick with the z1-6 card (should you decide to get it) as you wouldn't then have to faff around with extension tickets, which may cost more than the £3.80 saving.

The one advantage that you have with the seven day card is that you can use it during the early morning peak (before 9.30am weekdays). As you're staying out in zone 5 that would be useful for some early starts. The one day peak card covering z1-5 costs £16.40, and the minimum you'd pay on Oyster with an early start would be £13.10 (off peak z1-6 £8.50 plus £4.60 peak z1-5 fare, assuming you use the tube from Harrow). And, unless your day trips are collecting you from Harrow, you'd still have to get into London and back for those too.

You can do the math on the Oyster fares table (below). But even though you'd only have 5 consecutive full days in London, when you throw in tbe other journeys for your day trips, the cost with one day cards or Oyster PAYG isn't going to save you much, if anything.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Edited: 15 February 2013, 07:27
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,821 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

Short answer is, get the travelcards (not for Oyster) .

Even if you take advantage of one 2-4-1 offering, like the Tower of London, you will save £20 pounds.

You cannot do that with oyster.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

In fact, I've just done some back of an envelope math.

The cheapest alternative to the 7 day card, which is all on Oyster (and so not eligible for 2 for 1) that I can see is ....

If you used Oyster PAYG for 5 days in London off peak £8.50 daily cap) that would come to £42.50. Add to that your fares into & out of London for 2 days for the day trips (say one peak £4.60 for an early start and one off peak £3) that's another £15.20. Making a total of £57.70.

That's more than the £55.60 for the seven day z1-6.

Of course my calculations may not tally with your plans. But it looks as though the seven day z1-6 is worth it.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 07:42
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

The TfL 7 Day Travelcard comes on an Oystercard and is NOT eligible for the 2-4-1 offers.

For that you need to buy the Travelcard from a National Rail train station ticket office. Unfortunately the 2 Harrow train stations are run by London Underground so you wouldn't be able to buy them there.

How are you getting to Harrow as that may offer a way of getting the right tickets

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

^^^ Good point. You will need to ask your aunt to get 7 day national rail travelcards at a railway station.

Come to think of it that won't work, as you'll need to bring a passport size (not quality) photo with you and get the (free) photocard made at the railway station.

One option is to use Oyster for your day of arrival (Sat) and Sunday. Then during those days, at your convenience, visit a national rail station and buy the 7 day paper travelcards to start on the Monday.

The other potential piece of bad news is that on March 2 and 3 there are engineering works on the Metropolitan line between Harrow on the Hill and Aldgate (Central London). So if you were planning on taking public transport from Heathrow to Harrow, or Harrow into London you may have to reroute (via Rayners Lane?).

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…track-closures.pdf

Edited: 15 February 2013, 08:28
singapore
Level Contributor
183 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

Thank you all so much for your replies.

My aunt will be picking us up from the airport on 2nd. We plan to head out a bit later in the day and roam about in London. The closest station to my aunt is Harrow and Wealdstone. Since the The TfL 7 Day Travelcard aren't available at Harrow station, which would the closed National Rail station be? My aunt could drop us there I guess and I could pick tickets from there.

What is the difference between a The TfL 7 Day Travelcard and a Travel card (more confused)??? And can I travel on all zones / all modes of transport on a Travelcard? Or do we need to get an Oyster card too?

On 3rd, my aunt is taking us down to Stratford-upon-Avon so no trains that day. Hopefully no more route closures during our stay. Do we have to keep a daily check on the below site for this kind of info:

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…track-closures.pdf

Thank you once again.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c133479/Lon…

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,821 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

Scroll down in the above article to the part where it says "Paper Ticket not Oystercard"

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

Watford Junction (4-7 miles from Harrow) maybe the closet railway station depending on where in Harrow you are staying (it's the largest London borough is Harrow).

singapore
Level Contributor
183 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which one works for us....very confused

Thank you to everyone for all the great advice. Much appreciated.

Regards,

KY