We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

Visiting In June 2013 for 5 nights and I am seriously contemplating booking near Heathrow Airport to maximize quality and minimize cost. My only concern is accessibility to public transport to and from the city (and I can't seem to find clarification on hotel websites).

Is this a good idea? ... I guess what I'm really asking is, are hotels (currently looking at the Sheraton Skyline for instance) within walking distance to the tube/bus?

Thanks!

Amanda-Rae

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
21. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 23:05
Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

I know Thistle hotels do room only at £110 for standard double for a night.

We stayed recently at a small hotel in central london at £75 per night b&b.

Deals are out there, I always try any haggle a bit on prices, many times it works.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

#21 - I'm sure the Sheraton will store your bags for you.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,291 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

I don't wish to be rude but could you please delete your post and start your own thread. Your question doesn't relate to that of the OP who may well have signed up for alerts which means they will keep getting e-mails saying they have updates but then will get thoroughly confused when clicking on to their thread.

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

Amanda-Rae, please let us know when you plan to travel in June, whether you'll fly to and from London with AC or BA, whether you need to book a room for one person or more and (as has been said) your budget in £. At present, the rate is about $C1.60 to £1 so start there.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

Thank you, yes, a budget of $200/night was meant to be in Canadian dollars, so about 130 pounds a night would be my maximum. I will look into the Earls Court area (a quick look through hotels.ca just now in that area yielded some interesting possibilities) and take a gander at that website in the 15th post.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

@25 Will be the last week in June with AC, dates not set in stone yet, around June 23 is a good estimate and there will be 2 people.

28. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 23:05
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,291 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

soontobeomi,

Please please start your own thread. You are confusing the OP and the rest of us.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Using airport hotels as a base for London Vacation

Abbie, late June means Wimbledon and a start to the busy summer travel season, so you may have to be canny to find a hotel that will suit your needs.

Near Earl's Court have a look at the Premier Inns Kensington (Knaresborough Place) and Olympia (West Cromwell Road) with the former better situated. Consider base2stay, the Hotel Indigo in Barkston Gardens, the Parkcity, the Mercure London Kensington and the Best Western Burns.

If they do not appeal, are booked or are outside the budget then look to the Gower Street hotels as mentioned. The Arosfa, Jesmond and Ridgemount are good quality bed and breakfast type hotels, very well situated for transport and sightseeing, and offer value for money in the city centre. Near Gower Street and also worth a look are the Euro Hotel and Crescent Hotel, both in Cartwright Gardens.

One other option in Cartwright Gardens is studios2let, a collection of small studios that offer the chance to do a bit of light self catering.