We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

My husband & I (with 2 boys, aged 3 & 6) are driving from Bristol on a Monday morning to get the Eurostar, leaving a 3:30pm.

We will be travelling in a hire car & I'm trying to work out if we should drop the hire car off at Heathrow (which is where we will be picking the car up originally) & tube it to St Pancras. Or should we drop the car off at St Pancras (or close by)?

We won't have a huge amount of luggage to worry about. But I am trying to work out which will be the least stressful option! Any opions appreciated, thanks.

Level Contributor
3,395 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

Get the train.

Its far less hassle, as its direct into Paddington, then a straight jouney round on the circle/hammersmith & city. It saves messing around with hire car drop offs.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

Even better, forget about the Eurostar and fly from Bristol.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

I would drop the car off at St. Pancras, many of the rental companies have an office nearby. It seems pointless to mess around at Heathrow and then take the journey into central London by tube.

First choice would be fly from Bristol.

London
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

I think driving into central London on a Monday to drop the car, if you are not used to driving in London, would be a high stress journey. Some of the car hire drop offs (eg Hertz at Russel Square) are inside the congestion charge zone - which adds further complication.

Least stress would be to fly from Bristol.

Second least would be to leave the car in Bristol and take a train to London.

Third least would be drive to Heathrow and take tube from there. Allow two hours from car rental arrival (to cover hire car drop off process / transfer bus / tube to KingsCross).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

Thanks for your input everyone... Already purchased Eurostar tickets, so flying to Paris from Bristol isn't an option unfortunately.

My husband has driven in London before & is a very confident driver. So I think we'll drop the car off as close as we can to St Pancras. Europcar have an office at Kings Cross which appears to be very close (only 400 yards) to walk.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

Be very careful you don't enter the congestion zone or if you do, pay for it on the day, or the cost could rise considerably once the rental car company add their admin charge on top of a fine on top of the charge.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,611 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

The Europcar location in Pentonville Road is perhaps a 10 minute walk from St Pancras and Eurostar departures. It is downhill most of the way; the rest is on the flat. The office is located on the north side of Pentonville Road, outside the Congestion Charging zone, but the south side of the road is within the zone.

Put a single tyre tread into the zone and as above you'll be liable for the charge. Please take care and watch the signs indicating the zone's boundaries.

8. Re: Bristol to St Pancras (for Eurostar connection)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 06:17