We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

I'm renting a flat in Richmond for two weeks and am not sure the best way to get back and forth into Central London. I need to get an Oyster Card right? But what zones will I need to pay for?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

Richmond is in Travelcard zone 4.

There are a number of options for getting into the centre of London and the best route will depend on your final destination; but the main routes are:

South West Trains to Vauxhall or London Waterloo (eight an hour) and connect to the Underground (Victoria Line from Vauxhall, Bakerloo, Jubilee & Northern Lines from Waterloo).

Underground District Line - this may be more convenient for destinations on the west side of the centre.

There is also a London Overground service, although this is only useful if you are heading north of the centre e.g Camden Town.

Your Travelcard would be good on all of these.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

>>I need to get an Oyster Card right?<<

As you are a solo traveler, yes. An Oyster Card loaded with a 7 day travelcard for Zones 1-4 (and some Pay as You Go cash if you plan to travel outside of Zone 4, e.g., to and from Heathrow).

Edited: 17 February 2013, 17:46
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

Thanks!

So after the 7 days should I buy another 7 day travel card for Zones 1-4?

I'm going to do some day trips, like to Bath but I would buy a train ticket for that correct?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

I think you can load consecutive travelcards, or just buy them one at a time.

Anything outside of the TFL zones will require separate ticketing.

londontoolkit.com/whattodo/bath_transport.htm

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

What about the 2-4-1 offers? I'm so confused. I looked at the FAQ section on this but I'm still unclear on what is best to get.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

Aren't you traveling alone? Difficult to see how the 2-4-1 could apply to a single traveler.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

yes, I'm traveling mainly solo. I have a friend visiting from Germany for a few days, but mainly alone.

I didn't realize the 2-4-1, meant you needed another person. There is so much information out there my brain is on overload. Going to go look at some of the other info on London that's posted on the forum.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c133479/Lon…

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

The fastest way in to central London is definitely the fast train to Waterloo. There are slower trains on the same route, so pick up a time table in the station to find out when the fast trains are. If you're going somewhere in southwest London on the District line (e.g. the musums in Kensington -- V&A, Natural History, Science Museum), then the District line will be better, but otherwise it takes a long time because of how often it stops.

If you have a travelcard (whether Oyster or paper), it will cover both the fast and slow trains and the District line. You would need to buy a separate train ticket to somewhere like Bath, but you could use your travelcard to get to Paddington station to catch that train.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's best way to get into Central London from Richmond?

Thank you!