We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to London, help!!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to London, help!!

Hi,

I'm staying in London (Kings Cross) on Wednesday afternoon to Saturday evening with my boyfriend. It is our first trip to London and understand it can be very overwhelming if you don't know your way around.

We have an idea of what we want to see and do, however we would like to know what is in the same walkable distance so we don't waste days travelling to and from different attractions. Here are the attractions we would like to see;

-London eye

-Buckingham Palace

-Houses of Parliment

-Hyde Park

-Tower of London

-British Museum

-Harrods

-Trafalgar Square

-Camden market

-Covent Gardens

-Oxford Street

-Picadilly Circus

Please could someone group the attractions based on location enabling us to spend a whole day in each area.

A huge thank you in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to London, help!!

You could do london eye, Buckingham palace, houses of parliament/Westminster cathedral in one day.

Harrods, Hyde park and I will add Notting hill/ Portobello road

Camden, british museum, covent garden, Oxford st/ regent st/ plccadilly

Tower of london/ tower bridge and I will add st Paul's.

Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to London, help!!

It somewhat depends on what you want to do at some of the attraction. For instance, if you ant to go into the Houses of Parliament, that will take more time then just walking by. Do you ant to shop on Oxford Street, or just stroll down?

This is what I would recommend:

Wednesday

Harrods

Hyde Park

Picadilly Circus

Thursday

Tower of London

Covent Gardens

Oxford Street. The stores are mostly open until 9 on Thursdays.

Friday

London Eye

Houses of Parliament

Buckingham Palace

Trafalger Square

British Museum: Open late on Friday until 20:30

Saturday.

Camden Market: Best day for this, since all the stalls are open.

You nee to be a little flexible on the weather. You don’t want to go on the London Eye if it is cloudy, and a lot of Camden Market is outside, so not as good if it raining. Most of the things (except Camden) is in Central London, so easy to walk or take a bus to everything. Let me know if you want other suggestions for each day.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to London, help!!

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/king… The Tune Hotel is almost directly across the road from stop N. Stop R is no more than a slow two minute walk; stops D and E about 30 seconds across the way. The 17 will take you to Ludgate Hill for a change to the 15 for the Tower. The 10, 73 and 390 will take you towards the West End. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…mansion-house.pdf tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/towe…

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/uni-… The 24 and 29 will take you to Trafalgar Square and beyond; the 10, 73 and 390 all call at stop N. The 24 and 29 from Tottenham Court Road will also take you to Camden.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/tott… Just for information; if you would like to avoid the stairs at Knightsbridge station and the teeming hordes walking from that station to Harrods, take a 74 or 14 from Hyde Park Corner; both buses stop about 3m from the entrance. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/hyde…

Planned works on the Underground next Saturday will mean no Circle line service and reduced District line service; you'll have to be canny about transport that day.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to London, help!!

http://goo.gl/maps/0cB4Y

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to London, help!!

Print out the map on pages 10 - 11 of this visitor guide, which has the heading 'Bus Routes" and then put a circle around all the places that you want to visit. I think that all of the places on your list are somewhere on the map. That will give you an idea of which places are near each other.

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/visitor-guide.pdf

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to London, help!!

Thank you very much, the itinerary is very helpful!

If we wanted to mix it up a little; by doing a bit of shopping and buckingham palace -for example,what areas are completely not in walking distance of each other?

We will be getting the Oyster cards too and will be looking in to what stations we need, but it would be nice to have a walk to the attractions once in the main area.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to London, help!!

When you arrive buy a mini map they are only a couple of pound, i could not manage without mine now.

Kings Cross is perfect for getting around, we stay in this area. The tube is close by and the bus station aswell.

I am taking my Mam and when we arrive we will go and drop our bags off at the hotel then head straight back to the tube (pick up a tube map whilst you are there. You can look at your maps then on you way around and at your hotel).

My itinary this time is

Day 1

Catch the Tube to Enbankment, walk along the river towards Houses of Parliament, London eye, Westminster and Big Ben. From here we will walk to Horse Guards Parade (get ther for 11am and you will see the changing of the guard)

Walk through horse guard parade and into St James Park - (take a few nuts with you, the squirells will eat them out of your hand)

At the end of St James is Buckingham Palace, we will then walk down the Mall and into Trafalgar Square, there we will catch either a bus or tube to St Pauls or the Tower of London or both, we have not decided yet - we will head back to our hotel get read to go out for a bite to eat (try Caprice Med restaurant near King Cross close to the British Library) Lovely food, staff and much cheaper than the Westend)

We then will catch the tube to Picadilly Circus and walk to the theatre to see Stomp - you can buy theatre tickets once you arrive, we have pre booked ours.

Day 2

Catch tube to Harrods, we plan to spend a few hours here as we want to see it all, afterwards we will go back to our hotel to get ready for afternoon tea at the Ritz, then walk to the theatre to see Phantom of the opera, we plan to either walk or get a rickshaw to the river afterwards so we can see everything lit up at night, London Eye, West Minster etc.

(If you go to Harrods Hyde Park is close by so you could do both)

Day 3

Camden, one of my favourite places. Then sadly the train back home in the afternoon.

We buy tube pass £7 per day - you can get the tube, train or bus free all day long.

You can shop on Oxford street - last time we went to the Ice Bar off Oxford St - we booked in advance, a fun way to pass a bit of time.

Covent Garden is nice aswell.

You can catch a tube anywhere, but a lot of places are quite walkable.

There is so much to see and do - you won't be dissapointed. I never fail to want to go back.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 19:12
Greer, SC
Level Contributor
172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to London, help!!

Similar to the Google Maps link above, you could search each of these items on Trip Advisor and click "Add to Trip". This will plot everything on the map for you which aides significantly in prioritizing and combining activities. The mobile app for Trip Advisor for London is also great, as you can use it offline. It shows Underground stations as well. The mobile app can be synched to your Saved Trips itinerary as well.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to London, help!!

ps Depending what time your train home is you could spend your last day at The British Museum - we usually walk (about 20 mins) It is a nice way to spend some time before you head home, its free and because you are walking is saves paying out for a tube pass on the last day, we usually go home between 3pm and 4pm,

We would normally get up on our last day and go to a little Frech Patisserie

Patisserie Deux Amie 63 Judd Street, Close to King Cross

Lovely cakes and coffee then walk to the musuem.

We have been in the museum 3 times but never get chance to see all of it.

10. Re: First trip to London, help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:16