We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shard vs Eye

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shard vs Eye

For those of you who've been up the Shard I wondered how you think it compares to the Eye? I've viewed the Guardian's link to the Shard. How long is the Eye visit in comparsion to the Shard? Thanks for any advice.We want to pick one. There are three of us two adults and our 21 yr old daughter.

TIA!

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,145 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shard vs Eye

According to their website, an "experience" on the London Eye lasts 30 min.

londoneye.com/VisitorInformation/FAQs/Visiti…

AFAIK, you can stay at the Shard as long as you want, but their website says a standard visit is 60 min.

theviewfromtheshard.com/#plan-your-visit/boo…

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shard vs Eye

I was lucky enough to get free invite to the view of the shard and I thought it was amazing. It's on 2 levels, with the top one having an open roof. Looking down onto tower bridge is a highlight and seeing the curve of the river is spectacular. I think it's the only view in London where you can truly appreciate how big London is. You can take your time when up there and when you think about it, your only at the highest point of the eye for a few minutes. If you really want a birds eye view of London, I would recommend the shard over the eye.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shard vs Eye

Hobnob, I like your point about always being high up, my one question, and its serious, is, is it too high? Above a certain height it becomes counterproductive for sightseeing. Also, did you have or would you recommend, binoculars?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shard vs Eye

Is it too high....no, the view it gives you is an over view of the whole city, a view you would only ever got from a helicopter, as I said you can see the curves of the river and you have to be this high to achieve this. As for sight seeing, you have rotating screens that you can move across the landscape and zoom in or out, it also points out buildings and land marks for you, not a bad idea to bring your binoclars though. The London eye gives you a great view of the houses of parliament, the shard gives you a great few of London.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shard vs Eye

Thanks. Think I'll wait for a sunny day and go on spec.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shard vs Eye

Thanks for your replies. If anyone is interested in the Guardians website of the shard I found it by googling lonely planet shard Guardian and there's a post with a link.Very cool!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,978 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shard vs Eye

LOVEtheatreoffers are currently advertising the Shard for £24.95 with no booking fee.

This is their blurb:

At a height of 1,016ft, the tallest building in Western Europe, The Shard redefines London’s skyline and is a dynamic symbol of London, recognisable throughout the world.

The View from The Shard is situated at the top of the building, on floors 68, 69 and 72, and is almost twice the height of any other viewing platform in London. Travelling skyward in two high-speed ‘kaleidoscopic’ lifts, you’ll swiftly reach Level 68 - a cloudscape above the world.

Then journey to Level 69 where you’ll experience an astonishing 360 degree, 40mile view over the city and beyond where the past, present and future of London will be unfurled beneath you.

For the best view in town, ascend to Level 72, at 244m, the highest public level of The Shard. You’ll be exposed to the elements with sounds of the city around you. Looking up, you’ll see the shards of glass that form the top of this skyscraper as they disappear upwards into the sky.

Adults at £24.95 and children at £18.95 with no booking fees. Sold in partnership with The View from The Shard. Choose a morning, afternoon or evening slot.

And no, I don't have a vested interest.....it's just that I got an email from them tonight and thought the info. might be useful.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shard vs Eye

The price direct from the view for the shard lwebsite is the same as that mentioned above adults at £24.95 and children at £18.95 if you book in advance. HTH!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shard vs Eye

It is pricey but i'm definitely going up to the top of the Shard on my next London visit

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shard vs Eye

A tip, try and go when the visability is good, that dos'nt always mean a bright sunny day, if there's haze in the air, the visability will be bad. It was overcast when I went up but the visability was very good. Check visability forecast before you go to ensure you get the best view.