We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from London Euston to Chester

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
588 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Train from London Euston to Chester

Hi, we will be in London in June and at the end of our trip we will be visiting friends in Chester and flying back home from Manchester. What is the most affordable mean of transportation, one way to Chester? We were told to take a train from London Euston to Chester but the fare that I am getting for May Saturday departure (advance purchase for June is not available yet) is £152.60. I am a little shocked, it seems pretty high. Could someone please advise what is the best website to purchase train tickets? Would coach be cheaper? Thank you.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

I don't know, i'm looking at the 11th May, the latest Saturday for which cheap tickets are available and I see prices under £15 for morning services and either £20 or £67 for later services

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…first

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
588 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

Thanks a lot. I found this crazy price on thetrainline and virgintrains websites;) And the date was May 18.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

I've just been looking at an April date and found the same results as Alan. The anytime ticket cost £125.50, but the cheapest ticket I found - cheapest varies with time of train- is £14. Just keep watching the website, or you can set up an alert to tell you when they are released. Of course the cheapest tickets are for a specified train and nonrefundable, so you can only buy them if you can commit to travel on a specific train. Good luck!,

Edited: 22 February 2013, 13:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

Buy from Virgin Trains directly, not thetrainline. Thetrainline will add admin fees that add no value to you. (They just have highly effective marketing.) Because the advance fares for your travel dates have not yet gone online, you are seeing only the most expensive tickets. Bide your time (more or less 12 weeks before travel) and all the websites will have the same, lower fares available.

London
Level Contributor
10,415 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

Avoid the "anytime" fare - it's a "distress purchase" ticket.

The "off peak" fare is £77.30 return, which is reasonable value if you need flexibility. It does what it says on the tin - ie you can't use it on peak time trains - but you can use it on any train outside the peak hour. There is no need to purchase this in advance, the price does not vary.

If you are absolutely sure of your travel dates, the "advance fare" tickets may be cheaper - but remember you are then locked into your itinerary - they are only valid on the exact train you've booked and no other.

london
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

agreed with above if you can work out an exact date for your departure from london then you will be able to get a cheap ticket exactly 12 weeks in advance just work out when in march depending on the day leaving london

ditto advance ticket from chester to manchester airport presume you have exact date leaving uk or are your friends taking you to airport ( about 45 mins in car)

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

Note it isn't always an exact twelve weeks in advance, sometimes it's less, but don't worry if you are a few days - or even weeks- late as cheap tickets usually remain available for some time on most services.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,290 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

At the moment fares for 18 May are the higher Anytime and off peak fares and there are no Advance fares showing. I suspect they will be released in the next few weeks - ( it's not necessarily exactly 12 weeks btw). I'd keep checking. The offpeak fares won't disappear and the Advance fares don't sell out that instantly so just keep an eye on the site and sign up for alerts.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

<<ditto advance ticket from chester to manchester airport >>

no such ticket exists - only walk on fares on that journey

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
588 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from London Euston to Chester

Thank you for all your help. We know the exact day we will be going to Chester as we have to check out of our London hotel that day. It will be June 29. We want to depart around 10 am, I believe there is no peak hour on Saturday anyway, right? Once advance tickets are up we will purchase them on exact train and time. No flexibility required in this particular case:) Our friends will take us from Chester to Manchester airport so there is no need for tickets there.